Carrera bikes....value or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colin w

Regular
hi i recently bought the carrera subway limited edition hybrid ,i am very happy with it gears are nice and smooth brakes good too sadle was little hard but thats just me because havent been on bike for almost 12 years now i cant get enough of it i can highly recomed this bike much lighter than i used to have and being a hybrid you get best of both worlds [road /mountian bikes] staff at my local halfords ARE very bike educated unlike some reviews ive seen online sites ,this bike is really good fast strong and great gear changes,if you get one of these you wont be dissapointed carrera road bike are good too but i love there hybrids happy cycling.....col.

Robeh

I bought a TDF last June cost £329 new,been using it as my winter bike.
it has served me very well,had to change the tyres but the bike is sound and very quick and not the heaviest bike either.
make a ideal winter/commuter bike:smile:

400bhp

Guru
From what i've read Carrea bikes (Halfords in general) are a bit pot luck.

Some are really good and represent really good value for money. Others have been assembled by some oik who would have rather been in the audio section.

Let's not confuse the 2 things here, 1) the quality of the bike and 2) the quality of the staff that put them together.

Carerras are very good bikes (1 ticked). The quality of the staff may mean that the bike hasn't been assembled very well.

david k

Hi
Let's not confuse the 2 things here, 1) the quality of the bike and 2) the quality of the staff that put them together.

Carerras are very good bikes (1 ticked). The quality of the staff may mean that the bike hasn't been assembled very well.
or it may be put together very well, which is my experience

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
The magazine I work for has a "summer gadget guide" in its latest issue, and one of the "gadgets" is a Carrera full carbon road bike specced with 105 groupset...

For £1,000! :eek:

Question is, what kind of Chinese sweatshop must they get their carbon frames from that they can afford to sell them at that price? Hmmm.

d.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My son has a new Carrera Vengeance, but I took it away in the box. Guy in the local shop was really helpful, finding a similar sized bike to try, but they had no stock. Second shop, with the bike, the staff were very busy, but I watched a lad 'tightening' bits up on a customers bike - big spanner job and over tightening everything - nearly stepped in.

sabian92

Über Member
Indeed, their "experts" are 18 year olds who are only working there because if they weren't they'd be on the dole.

I'd rather trust my granny to do a better job, and she's been dead 18 years...

david k

Hi
Indeed, their "experts" are 18 year olds who are only working there because if they weren't they'd be on the dole.

I'd rather trust my granny to do a better job, and she's been dead 18 years...

not sure which shop you have been but if they are as incompotent as you say i think it needs reporting.

Ive used a couple of halfords shops and my local one is fantastic, the people there are very helpful and do a great job. not just my feedback btw

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
Bought a Carrera Gryphon flat bar road bike a couple of years ago, price kept on changing anywhere from £330 to £239 (which is what I got it for) The assembly was pretty bad, mech hanger was falling off with bent bolts. I fixed it myself and claimed back the money I spent on parts from Halfords head office in Redditch. Staff in shop seemed uninterested in the problem.

The bike was heavier than expected for a road bike (14kg) plain guage 7005 aluminium.

Had it for 6 months and sold it. The resale value is lower on Carrera bikes than other brands. Bought an MTB from Decathlon, much better experience.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
do you think halfords source their equipment cheaper than others?

I know absolutely nothing about where and how Halfords source their carbon frames. However, I do know that Planet X do a full carbon road bike with SRAM Red for £1,049, and I wouldn't be surprised if it were the same frame from the same factory as the Halfords bike, just with different decals. I don't know that, I'm just speculating that it's a possibility.

I'm not saying they're bad bikes, but I'm wary of what corners might have been cut in the manufacturing process for them to be able to sell the bikes at that price.

d.

Top Bottom