Carrera Hellcat 2020 Service Manual

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm more of a DIY type of a person and prefer to do my own things within my capacity so was wondering if there is any information on servicing the Carrera Hellcat 2020 Mountain bike. I contacted Halfords via telephone today and they said they don't have any such manual and advised me to look on YouTube to carry out any self service. The other option would be to bring the bike in for servicing which would cost.

Some of the things I would like to do are:
1. Brakes: How to change the fluid and adjust brakes and change brakes.
2. Changing forks to lockout forks.

Also, I have observed that I really have to move my thumbs to change the gears. The index finger is fine to change though. So I am wondering if I am holding the handlebar wrong. How do yous hold it?

DRM

Guru
https://www.youtube.com/user/parktoolcompany
Have a watch through this you tube channel, it’s excellent for bike maintenance videos :okay:

Big John

Guru
I'm always wary of the word 'service'. I work for a bike charity and we are asked by customers to 'service' their bikes when, in fact, what they mean is 'Can you repair this bike and get it back to a usable state?' The bikes usually have been kept in a damp garden shed for months if not years and need the last rites instead of a service. If you use your bike regularly it should be checked over by yourself regularly to make sure all is well, that the brakes work, the gears are indexed, the hub bearings haven't got excessive play, the headset seems OK, the tyres aren't threadbare, etc. If you have a regular maintenance program then it'll be 'serviced' on an ongoing basis. Above all enjoy working on your bike. I've reached a point now where I enjoy working on the bike as much as I enjoy riding it. Even cleaning it is therapeutic lol

OP
OP
T

Techminator

Regular
Great advice. My previous bike was Apollo Phaze aka BSO (Bicycle Sized Object) purchased for second hand for £30. It was good experience to learn some stuff like adjusting brakes (it had V brakes), changing tyre and tube. It was indeed therapeutic and sometimes frustrating to do certain work. The V brakes are such a pain when they make screeching noise and one of the pads rub against the tyres.

My new bike is Carrera Hellcat 2020 which has hydraulic disc brakes. I've seen a couple videos to bleed the brakes and it looks technical but I hope to get there.

iluvmybike

Über Member
You shouldn't need to bleed the brakes as a routine job - if you don't know what you are doing you can make them worse. There are plenty of online vids to show you how to change pads for whatever make you have. The forks are Suntour XCM from the spec - if they are the lockout version then they should lockout by turning the cap on right hand leg. If this is not working it isn't worth trying to fix them. If it is the no n lockout version then same applies. You'd have to replace the fork

OP
OP
T

Techminator

Regular
From what I have found out regarding hydraulic brakes, under normal circumstances they last for a good 4-5 years if they are using mineral oil and about 2 years if using DOT oil.

iluvmybike

Über Member
From what I have found out regarding hydraulic brakes, under normal circumstances they last for a good 4-5 years if they are using mineral oil and about 2 years if using DOT oil.
Yep pretty spot on there - which reminds me I need to see to mine!!

OP
OP
T

Techminator

Regular
Anyone here has installed a kick stand or found a solution to park the bike where there is no place to lean it against?

Ajax Bay

Guru
Have you tried a skyhook? They have them in all good bike shops and in use, the bike stays upright by itself.

OP
OP
T

Techminator

Regular
Have you tried a skyhook? They have them in all good bike shops and in use, the bike stays upright by itself.
I was meaning a mobile solution to park the bike where there is no stand to park the bike. Like if I'm out cycling and wanna pee, there is no tree nearby or anything to lean the bike against in which case if I had a kick stand I could park my bike, answer the nature's call and then get going. :smile:

Top Bottom