Carrera Sale

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Danny91

Hello,

Which Carrera has the better spec out of these?

Carrera Subway Limited Edition 2012: £200
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_840933_langId_-1_categoryId_165534

Carrera Crossfire 1 2011/2012 £270
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_810711_langId_-1_categoryId_165534

Carrera Subway 2011/2012 - £280
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_810737_langId_-1_categoryId_165534

Which would you say is better 'value for money' and would suit a beginner? I definitely want a hybrid.

Thanks!

calibanzwei

Technically, is the last one a 'hybrid' with 26" wheels?
If you want a 'hybrid' for road use, forget the 2nd one with its front forks.
If you're willing to go to £280, stretch to £300?
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/trek/71-fx-2011-hybrid-bike-ec025531

HovR

Über Member
What type of riding will you be doing? Unless you are planning on getting in to some fairly serious off-road, you likely won't want front suspension as it wastes energy which could be translated into forward momentum on a rigid frame. This would remove the Crossfire from the equation.

There are a few minor differences between the two Subway's, however the only major differences I have noted between the Subway and the Subway Limited Edition, is that the regular Subway has Disc brakes and an Altus rear derailleur, whilst the limited edition has rim brakes and a Tourney derailleur.

You can upgrade to an Altus derailleur for under £20, so that is not a real issue - So you have to ask yourself whether you need disc brakes. Disc brakes will provide you with better and more predictable stopping power, however at the disadvantage of weight - As the frame and forks have to be beefed up to cope with the extra stresses disc brakes produce.

The rim brakes on the limited edition will also be easier to adjust, however will require more frequent adjusting than disc brakes.

OP
OP
Danny91

Danny91

Are the disc brakes and altus derailleur worth an extra £80 compared to the V-Brakes and tourney derailleur?

I will be using it for riding on cycle paths and for leisurely use - sometimes on tarmac, sometimes on grass. I am looking to spend as little as possible as I haven't ridden a bike since I was young and want to be certain that I will use it enough to justify a high priced bicycle. If I get the use out of it, I will upgrade in the future.

Is the Trek 7.1 FX 2011 worth the extra £20 over the normal Carrera? It doesn't have disc brakes, so what justifies the higher price?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Used the basic subway for a couple of years in all weathers as a commuter , cracking bike for the price.
Only sold it when i got more into road bikes but ended up buying a second hand bike when i wanted a winter hack.

HovR

Über Member
Are the disc brakes and altus derailleur worth an extra £80 compared to the V-Brakes and tourney derailleur?

I will be using it for riding on cycle paths and for leisurely use - sometimes on tarmac, sometimes on grass. I am looking to spend as little as possible as I haven't ridden a bike since I was young and want to be certain that I will use it enough to justify a high priced bicycle. If I get the use out of it, I will upgrade in the future.

Is the Trek 7.1 FX 2011 worth the extra £20 over the normal Carrera? It doesn't have disc brakes, so what justifies the higher price?

If you're looking to spend as little as possible, then the lower priced Subway will suit you fine. V Brakes will provide more than enough stopping power in the dry, and as with most rim brakes, you will need to brake a bit earlier in the wet to clear the water off the rims.

The Tourney derailleur will also serve you fine - I've been running one for 5 years and it's still going strong - Even after going into the spokes once! The newer Tourney will probably benefit from newer technology as well, probably the same as last years Altus?

Basically disc brakes will provide you with a little more stopping power, allowing you to brake later, and giving you brakes which are fairly consistent throughout dry and wet weather. Be warned though that disc brakes do often squeal in the wet. You will have to decide whether this is worth an extra £80 to you.

HovR

Über Member
You guys have been a great help, thanks!

I am leaning towards the cheaper Carrera as that extra £80 can get me a decent lock/accessories.

What accessories would be recommended for leisurely riding? I would want a casual pair of shorts that are padded/wick away sweat.

A cycle computer is always good, but extras you may or may not want include: Water bottle & holder, helmet, lock, lights, cycle specific clothing, bar ends, saddle bag and puncture repair kit, CO2 canisters and/or mini pump, track pump for the home..

The list could go on. :smile:

OP
OP
Danny91

Danny91

One last find - Pinnacle Lithium One - £249

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pinnacle/lithium-one-hybrid-bike-ec027459#features

What do you make of the spec - any difference between that and the £200 Carrera?

HovR

Über Member
It has narrower 700c wheels, making it more suitable for road use, and making it a little bit faster. It also has Tourney front derailleur and shifters, as opposed to the front derailleur and shifters on the Subway that don't fall into one of the main group sets.

It will probably also be a little bit lighter, and best of all, you will be buying it from a shop who actually know what they're talking about, and how to assemble bikes. ^_^

You will likely get far better customer service from Evans than Halfords, and you won't have to risk the "hit and miss" factor as to whether you get a good mechanic assembling your bike like you do with Halfords.

OP
OP
Danny91

Danny91

Will the 700cc wheels be suitable for light off-road use as well? I literally want the most versatile bike possible as I have no idea what sort of terrain I will be riding on. I was drawn in by the looks of the Pinnacle (I know, not a major factor) but if it is technically sound then I am willing to put in the extra £50 for a bike that is more 'me'.

Are Pinnacle a reputable brand? That bicycle has 5 star reviews from four people on the evans website.

HovR

Über Member
Yep, the 700c wheels will be suitable for light off road. Keep in mind that some cyclocross bikes use the same 700c wheels as road bikes, only with different tires, and they can take some fairly serious bumps.

The tires that come with the bike appear to be 38mm slicks, which you can always upgrade if you feel you want more grip in off-road situations.

I believe Pinnacle is Evans' own brand, in the same way that Carrera is Halfords' own brand. You should be getting a similar level of quality, if not better.

simon.r

Person
Would these shorts just go under shorts/jeans and work effectively? Are shorts even required for rides of about 10 miles?
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/endura/padded-liner-shorts-ec027240

And I was considering getting these locks as it seems a pretty good deal, however people have said they are very heavy?

http://www.evanscycles.com/products...ot-kryptoflex-cable-ec035396?query=kryptonite

Despite riding bikes for 20 odd years I still can't bring myself to wear just lycra shorts! I use something like the shorts you've linked to and they're fine under regular shorts. Jeans aren't the best riding wear as they tend to to be too heavy and restrictive. Some people can manage without padding, others can't. Try it and see!

Can't comment specifically on that lock, but I think you'll struggle to find a light but effective lock.

One point re bike choice which no-one's mentioned yet is how it fits you. Different manufacturers have slighltly different frame geometries and things like the saddle position, handlebar width and stem length can make a significant difference to how comfy a bike is to ride. These can generally be changed, but better to try a few bikes before buying to get a feel for them. Ideally a test ride, but even just sitting on them in the shop will show up differences in how they feel to you.

gbb

Legendary Member
Ironiclly my son just brought the Subway with disc brakes last week.i think ..half price at £200....its now £280.
Had a lookee at it...at £200, i thought it was very good. £280 ?...only you can decide.

Top Bottom