Carrera subway crank

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

koicarps

hi I need a bit of help in a carrera subway 1 with 14 gears the crank sprockets are worn and I need to replace them in been to my local dealer and he has said that suntour have discontinued them dose anyone know what alternatives I can buy. Thanks

Sharky

Guru
Do you mean the front chainrings or the rear sprockets?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I believe it’s a triple. Assuming it’s a square taper bb you can pick up a crankset for not much more than the rings:
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/chainsets/sunrace-triple-chainset-423424t-170mm/

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/chainsets/sunrace-triple-chainset-with-detachable-rings-423222t-170mm/
If the largest ring is bigger/smaller than your existing you’ll need to move the front derailleur. You’ll also need a crank extractor, (you can just wack it off if you don’t want to save it)) thats if you diy.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
:welcome: Have a read of this thread - my (and others') suggestions hold good for you, too.
@Cycleops How can it be a triple with "14 gears"?
But I agree - just get a new chainset which requires (and can use the current) same square taper bottom bracket (and spindle length). Doesn't have to be 'Suntour'.
From the Halfords site:
"Efficient modern gears
To enhance the riding experience, we have also upgraded the drivetrain on the new Subway 1, moving from a triple chainset to a 2x (2 by)."
You have to laugh - I suppose they have to write something.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
the aerly subway 1 did have a double on them, best thing to do is count the teeth on them and see if thy are riveted or have bolts holding it together as i cant remember .If its bolts you can search for replacements making sure you get the right number of bolts and BCD , if its rivits you need to buy a replacement crankset ,
https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/pages/how-to-measure-bolt-circle-diameter-bcd

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Missed the 14 bit @Ajax Bay not too well up on modern machines but I know I can rely on your eagle eye :smile:.
On a budget bike that they’re almost certain to be riveted aren’t they?

OP
OP
K

koicarps

Its a double and they are bolted on i would get a whole new crank set but someone told me it has to have the right offset so wouldn't no which one to buy

OP
OP
K

koicarps

Do you mean the front chainrings or the rear sprockets?
Front changrings

Ajax Bay

Guru
You have two choices, then.
1) Buy two new chainrings. These are defined by their BCD (bolt centre diameter, probably 110mm, see @cyberknight 's link) and how many teeth they have. And don't choose 10 speed ones (they will be more expensive anyway).
Swapping the chainrings (you say need replacing - am surprised - have they done 20,000km+?) is easy with an allen key and a screwdriver.
2) OR buy a new chainset. Your BB (will be 68mm wide) bottom bracket has a spindle length which you can measured. Each chainset has a specified BB spindle length (to get the chainline about right and make sure the front mech can reach both rings). Find a chainset which needs, roughly, the BB spindle length you have, or buy a new BB (UN-55) to match the new chainset. Tools have been mentioned up thread.
There are useful links in the other thread.

Top Bottom