Carrera TDF. Conversion to Triple crank

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

musa

Über Member
Don't need a triple. I have a compact and i dont live from you. Im in purley way. I work in sutton.

If you need more help let me know and I'll helo you out. I'll send you a pm

I am quite new to road cycling, still use B Twin Triban (which may change over next few days!), so perhaps very similar to your situation. I can offer following suggestions. I have learned all this from reading these forums, books and watching youtube clips.

Climbing hills is not just about how fit you are. It is an art based on science of cycling. You need to learn the best position to ride and peddling technique, how to hold the handle, how to breath and when to change the gears. Your mind set is as important as the machine.
Since you mention about B Twin, you will see that you can achieve the same gear ratio as that in B Twin by doing smaller changes without changing the front to triple.

OP
OP
U

Usmaan Jamil

Quick update if anyone was curious, I've exchanged the TDF at Halfords for the Carrera Vanquish, got a fantastic deal only had to pay 50 quid on top of the 300 I paid for the TDF and to be honest for 50 pounds extra the bike is so much better. Its got the COMPACT CRANKSET and I'm pretty sure its got the full Sora groupset and is a kilogram lighter. I thought Halfords wouldn't accept my return but they were pretty good about it and gave me a great deal with Vanquish

Shaun Robinson

I have a tdf too you were lucky mine came with a 52/42 I triple checked this , hills are not my friend but changing the 42 to a 34 soon :smile: , hopefully my new bike will turn up in next few weeks too then wing have the lug heavy tdf up any hills :smile:

Big_Dave

The unlikely Cyclist
I've just bought a brand new TDF earlier this month, 16 speed, mainly to use as a 2nd bike, I've had my eye on the TDF for a while now, full price £599.99 (rip off!!) then originally on "sale" for £329, then £299.99 and then with an extra 10% off making it £269.99 so I thought I would take a gamble on it
Mine came with 42/52 front and 12/26 rear, the gear change on the rear was really awful the problem being the outer cable compressing (cheap rubbish fitted as standard) and the gear change was hit and miss on how quickly it changed gear if at all, I replaced the gear cables to shimano SP41 ones, what a difference the gear change is brilliant now, The bike also had Claris levers and rear mech, and 7 speed tourney front mech.
I also converted my TDF to a triple Shimano Tiagra 30/42/52 chainset £49.99, 68x118mm shimano bottom bracket £12.99, Tiagra front mech £19.99, Claris triple lever £47.99, I also swapped the rear mech to Shimano 105 GS (medium cage) £28.99, as the jockey wheels run a lot smoother than on the Claris. I have various cassettes that I use and living on the edge of peak district it get a bit hilly depending on the route, I use sram PG850 cassettes, there is a good range of gearing options, on the hills I use a 11/32 cassette. With a few upgrades it does make quite a good bike although not the lightest of bikes it does ride pretty good for budget end of the market.

@Shaun Robinson if my believe is correct and the TDF chain rings are 130 BCD you will only be able to fit a 38th to that chainset, so you would also need to change the whole chainset to go to a 34, you would also need to change the 52th to a 50th as most double FD's only do a gap of 16th (in theory), so it would be easier just to get a compact double chainset, unless that is the intention,

@Big_Dave :welcome: not sure on SRAM cassettes but on the shimano 8 and 9 sp if you grind the rivet head off and separate the cogs you can make up any ratio you want, also 8 and 9 sp cogs are interchangeable really there only being 0.02mm difference in width (the 9sp being narrower), just remember to use the right sp spacers.

Big_Dave

The unlikely Cyclist
@Nigelnaturist, the sram PG850 cassettes are held with 2mm allen bolt so it's easy to make different ratio cassettes up (which I also use on my other road bike). the standard tdf procycle 42/52 chainset is only fit for the skip/sorry ebay:eek: pressed steel rings in grey primer yukxx( and the chain line was horrendous.
I'm happy with the tdf with the triple conversion, it's a totally a different bike to ride now, I'll run it as it is now for the coming winter.:bicycle:

@Nigelnaturist, the sram PG850 cassettes are held with 2mm allen bolt so it's easy to make different ratio cassettes up (which I also use on my other road bike). the standard tdf procycle 42/52 chainset is only fit for the skip/sorry ebay:eek: pressed steel rings in grey primer yukxx( and the chain line was horrendous.
I'm happy with the tdf with the triple conversion, it's a totally a different bike to ride now, I'll run it as it is now for the coming winter.:bicycle:
I have a procycle chainset thats done over 8,000 miles and 7,000 on a Spa touring crank mine have been on a Viking Torino from 2008 though 14,000 of those miles are in the last 2 years, as its a triple its not been a priority to change it, I will be putting some 105 kit on today as my right Sora 3400 shifter failed at the weekend, and fed up getting kit off ebay that fails, a pair of 105 shifters went last night for £99+5pp I got mine from Ribble for an effective price of £117 and the FD about the same price as the one on ebay £17 its 10sp not the new 11sp, but the extra 12th gear wont really benifit me overall really as I have a 52x13 setup an 18th would have been better or something in the 20's as a 9sp it was 52/42/30 though I did change the 42 to a 40 sometimes 13/14/15/16/17/19/21/24/28 the 105 will be much the same but with 12 & 27 so not much of a change really in range a couple of inch and no change in the middle ratios.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I am just changing my compact on my vanquish to a 50/ 36 as i hardly ever use the 34 ring as i find the jump to big and end up spinning away till i slow down enough for the 34 ring to engage.

I am just changing my compact on my vanquish to a 50/ 36 as i hardly ever use the 34 ring as i find the jump to big and end up spinning away till i slow down enough for the 34 ring to engage.
This is the biggest problem with compacts as they come as standard, doubles are great for those who race as weight is an issue, if I had a compact like you I would be spinning at either end of the cassettee (well towards the end) my avg gear is 61-62" which on my bike is a 40x17 (well it was before i changed the middle ring at the weekend) which would give me a pretty straight chain line, for most riding I could have stayed on the 40th but did run out of length on slight declines, I guess the 12th on the new set will help there, however I could also spin on the lower rear cogs and the 52th, the 30x12 it was possible to ride up to say 15mph @90rpm, so having a close grouped cassette all three rings on the front can utilised effectively and better cadence control, for almost all my riding I could get away with a 52/38 and a 13-32 (13/14/15/1617/19/21/24/28/32) with pretty good ratios, the 30th helps on those steeper hills.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
This is the biggest problem with compacts as they come as standard, doubles are great for those who race as weight is an issue, if I had a compact like you I would be spinning at either end of the cassettee (well towards the end) my avg gear is 61-62" which on my bike is a 40x17 (well it was before i changed the middle ring at the weekend) which would give me a pretty straight chain line, for most riding I could have stayed on the 40th but did run out of length on slight declines, I guess the 12th on the new set will help there, however I could also spin on the lower rear cogs and the 52th, the 30x12 it was possible to ride up to say 15mph @90rpm, so having a close grouped cassette all three rings on the front can utilised effectively and better cadence control, for almost all my riding I could get away with a 52/38 and a 13-32 (13/14/15/1617/19/21/24/28/32) with pretty good ratios, the 30th helps on those steeper hills.
The vanquish has a 12-25 and the boardman has an 11-28 both of which i plan to run a 50/36 compact , i like the extra tooth either end on the boardman as it tends to be used more for training rides ( when time allows which is not very often atm kids etc ) where i need the extra both ends dependant on terrain and how much hammer i can put down on any day .The Vanquish is mainly a commuter and for the routes and weight i ride the gearing is ample .

Horses for courses though , gear for your needs rather than everyone elses so i dont get hung up on what everyone else rides .

Big_Dave

The unlikely Cyclist
@Nigelnaturist wiggle will price match, if you look on rose bikes, I think it's a german company "trading" in the uk, they are very cheap and wiggle will price match them, I bought a set of levers of wiggle for £118 ish then found them on rose bike for £82 inc postage, wiggle said they wouldn't price match already purchased items, so I bought a second set off them at price matched price £82 and sent them straight back for a refund on the £118 receipt and got refunded £118. That's how to get around the price match after you have bought something ;-) I do buy some stuff off of ebay but it's usually cheaper to buy from CRC or Wiggle anyway, ebay is getting a bit of a rip off place to buy stuff off.

Big_Dave

The unlikely Cyclist
I've been playing around again with my Carrera TDF, I did convert to 3x8 but now I've gone to a 30 speed set up, 105 3x10 shift/levers, 105 rear mech, 105 chain, 105 11-25, 11-28 and sram PG1050 11-32 cassettes, front mech & chainwheel is 9 speed Triple Tiagra (as used on my 3x8 set up) but works perfectly with the 10 speed shifters/chain, bit of a mis-match but it works well and will certainly do until funds allow to upgrade to 105 front mech and chainwheel.

@Big_Dave I set the lot up for about £200 from Ribble and CRC, RD a few weeks earlier £27, Shifters (triple), 105 £131 cassette 105 £25 (from Rose £25.33) FD 105 triple £17 ish chain KMC 93 £17
The rest of the stuff is no different to that which I paid, plus I couldn't see 105 levers just Sram.
I actually use their site a lot to compare cassette ratios, as its one of the most comprehensive, one i will compile a list of those available.
There isn't much I can do short term now, things are working pretty well, just find the 17-19 gap a little large

Top Bottom