Carrera TDF gearing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Maybe I'm wrong and anyway not everyone wants to take things apart and get their hands dirty.
I wonder if when a local LBS says a lot of his call outs are to roadies.
Though I do agree about the extra expense, in hindsight I should of got a better bike, but being on an extremely low income it's about all I can do to replace parts, let alone the expense of an LBS, having said that the bike is now reasonably comfortable, it's gearing is as it was new 30/40/52 and an 13-26, when I started I had it has low as 26x34 at one point though 26x28 was more the norm, thing is if I know I am going to be doing so bigger hills (not really likely) I can change some of the rear cogs, say the 23 and 26 over to 24 and 28, and I can do that in about 10 mins.
As for speeds well I avg about 16mph these days and I am 50 in less than 6 months, and I only really started a year last June.

OP
OP
D

DW1

Make do with what you have and get fitter.
Seems a bit daft to buy a budget bike and then start spending money on customizing it to suit your needs.
You could have got something like the Giant defy 5 with compact c/set and 11/28 8sp etc for not a lot more and have twice the quality.
Hi, new to road biking ! Read v good reviews of the TDF and the gearing issue only became apparent once I had purchased. Hopefully, won't spend too much customising - better tyres and pedals so far, sounds like the gearing could be a relatively cheap fix.

OP
OP
D

DW1

The front mech will need to be lowered so it's nearer the chainring, the easiest option is a M.T.B. rear derailleur new cassette with upto 32 or 34 th, you will also need a new chain.

Acera MT.B. £17.50.
H.G. 50 cassette £15.39 either 11-32 or 11-30
8sp chain KMC £7.19

If your doing yourself you may need the tools to remove the chain and cassette, but once you have done this once or twice its easy, it also possible to make up your own ratios.

Many thanks for this useful info.

Doyleyburger

Veteran
Definitely stick with what u got. I bought the tdf 6 weeks ago and live in the hills of west Wales. I pretty much gave up on my first climb, now I can climb almost with the front group with my cycling club. If you can manage with what you've got the rewards will be awesome in terms of your fitness

Top Bottom