carrera virtuoso

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FailedComic

Regular
Yea i posted from my phone and it has gone in with alembics quote, the pics have gone abit heywire too!!

Like i said for £350 i think its worth a punt. there may well be a few better bikes out there for the money with the lbs not selling anything under £700 and no decathlon near it was just a bit of an impulse buy after a quick look on the website the night before.
If it gets my 16 stone lump around for 6 months or so ill be happy enough :laugh:

I'm thinking of getting this bike too. I know you've only had it for a week or so, but what are your thoughts?

david k

Hi
looks great

OP
OP
Steampig

Steampig

I'm thinking of getting this bike too. I know you've only had it for a week or so, but what are your thoughts?

Sorry failed cant tell you how it rides as im still in a cast for the 2 weeks or so, going to be probably an other 3/4 weeks before i can ride :sad:

I have sent my friend (ex lbs worker) out on it for a spin to see what he thinks and to make sure everything has been set up right. He reckons its a decent bike for the money and although a little heavier (marginal) than the crabon forked tribans, at my weight (nearley 16 stone) im not going to feel the difference so this is a decent solid bike.
Btw he reckons the bike has been set up very well which i was supprised at (as was he!!!) after hearing the halfords horror storys!!

Cant compair it to the triban as ive not rode either before (my last bike was a dawes giro 400) but in my opinion the carrea race is a much better looking bike and i think part of choosing a bike is how it makes you feel?!?

david k

Hi
there must be hundreds of halfords, just because some are not very good doesnt mean we should tie them all with the same brush. i guess they do play around with prices to make them look more attractive but dont all large shops??? just becuase they knock off £300 and in real terms its only £100 doesnt mean it aint a good deal. After all said and done its a good deal and a good bike if your happy with it, i think it looks great, now just get out and enjoy

david k

Hi
i love it, i like both my bikes for different reasons. the subway has great gear ratios for me, is robust and takes some stick but the top tube feels very long and despite being tall the reach puts weight on my arms on long runs

the vanquish is very comfy it surpised me there, its also very quick and light but the gears are compact and thats taking some geting used too, i tend to just use the smaller ring and if i need to change up i take the opportunity to coast! Ive only done a few rides on it as i got it just before winter, ive probably not done 100 miles on it yet. i got it for 360 as it was previous years model, the specs have got less lately due to costs so its hard to judge bikes this year against bikes in 2007 when we were all rich (apparently)
i wouldnt worry over peoples views, i like to listen and take it all in but everyone thinks differently, if it suits you then its the right choice, my local halfords is excellent and dont worry about bad feedback from others, sometimes i wonder if its just snobbery. IME the carreras are good and sos my local halfords. ive only been back riding for 16 months, when i have more experince i may think different i dont know

enjoy your bike and you riding, dave

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I have ridden both the virtuoso and the vanquish,albeit the older model.
The virtuso is virtually the same as my old old one except for the colour and as far as i can tell the new one does not have rack mounts but the ride has always been dependble and sure footed and although you feel the weight on hills you should have low enough gears to get up them easily.
Did the midland monster sportive last year on mine and i certainly enjoyed the ride and was not last.
On club runs i could keep up with the other riders of my level .
The old vanquish had a carbon fork rather than the new alloy fork so the ride was lighter and took the buzz out of the road more.The gears also had tiagra levers rather than sora so the bike was more competive compared to other brands of the same price ,now there is not much in it when compared to other entry level bikes.The extra gear on the back allows you to keep on top of your sweet spot for rpm easier and the lighter weight made it a bit more fun to sling about and uphills.

david k

Hi
mines the one with the carbon fork and tiagra shifters

Mike Alexander

I have a Carrera Virtuoso that I purchased in April 2010 (the black and blue version). After around 3,000 miles, I need to replace the bottom bracket. With the right tools I've managed to remove the crank arms, lock ring and left (non-drive) cup, but the right (drive-side) cup won't budge. I'm just wondering whether I'm trying to turn it the wrong way. The left cup unscrews anticlockwise, and the bike maintenance book I have (Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance) suggests that the right cup should unscrew clockwise. Can anyone confirm whether this is the case or not?

(I should point out that, after many years of cycling and basic bike maintenance, this is the first time I've had to replace a bottom bracket, so please excuse the relative "newbie" question!)

Mike Alexander

For info, I finally managed to get the right cup off after following a tip I found on YouTube. The trick was to fix the tool to the cup with a bolt so it wouldn't slip off and then applying a huge amount of pressure. ^_^

Now to order a replacement...

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
For info, I finally managed to get the right cup off after following a tip I found on YouTube. The trick was to fix the tool to the cup with a bolt so it wouldn't slip off and then applying a huge amount of pressure. ^_^

Now to order a replacement...
I got a replacement from the LBS, took the old one in and they gave me a new one.Be careful though as some types have a plastic non drive side that i managed to trash cross threading it so i had to get another oen with a metal one that went in as easy as pie.

Hi

Need some help. I am stuck between 3 bikes to choose from.
They Are
Claud-Butler-Criterium-2012 at £350
Triban 3 at £300
Carrera virtuoso race limited edition at £350

This is my first road bike! Do bout 6 miles as day

Mike Alexander

I can't comment on the other two, but I've been very happy with my Carrera Virtuoso. It's great value for money. All I'd say is that, as Halfords frequently have sales, if you can, it would be worth waiting until they discount it.

Top Bottom