Carrera Zelos

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
For you info I was pressured by halfords into this bike as it was the only one they shown me they never did a bike fit they said it was the right size
Presumably because it was the only bike for your budget? Did you at least sit on it? If it's too small, presumably in the reach, why not try a longer stem? Is the saddle as far back in the rails as it will go? Could also try a layback seatpost. What issues are you getting that have convinced you that it's too small?

Hughes

So When you went into to buy the bike did you tell them what you were after and what you wanted to spend ?

It seems very odd that someone can mention carbon cranks in one breath and moan about the weight of those on a bike that costs the same as just the aforementioned crank.
Told halfords i wanted something light ....Chain set is steel (crank) wtf does everyone here think the sun shines of carreras ... Anyway I spoken to halfords head office and they exchange it for right size .... If they ask for more cash I'll refuse as its there fault as for forks are steel lightweight should be aluminium would ave been lighter

Hughes

Presumably because it was the only bike for your budget? Did you at least sit on it? If it's too small, presumably in the reach, why not try a longer stem? Is the saddle as far back in the rails as it will go? Could also try a layback seatpost. What issues are you getting that have convinced you that it's too small?
Frame size

vickster

Legendary Member
Told halfords i wanted something light ....Chain set is steel (crank) wtf does everyone here think the sun shines of carreras ... Anyway I spoken to halfords head office and they exchange it for right size .... If they ask for more cash I'll refuse as its there fault as for forks are steel lightweight should be aluminium would ave been lighter
It is relatively light for £250. Why would they ask for more cash? Most entry level budget bikes have a steel fork. It's a cheap road bike, that's the reality, I'm neither pro nor con when it comes to Carrera bikes, they are what they are, cheap, decent value for money. In the end however, It'll have cheap components and be made of cheap materials, which are heavier than more expensive ones. You could source lighter forks, lighter wheels, lighter tyres, carbon bits, but then you may as well have spent more in the first place.

Did you not look at the spec before buying, the details are on the website, they also have it I think on the labels on the bikes?

Did you visit other retailers too to see what they might have?

Hughes

It is relatively light for £250. Why would they ask for more cash? Most entry level budget bikes have a steel fork. It's a cheap road bike, that's the reality, I'm neither pro nor con when it comes to Carrera bikes, they are what they are, cheap, decent value for money. In the end however, It'll have cheap components and be made of cheap materials, which are heavier than more expensive ones. You could source lighter forks, lighter wheels, lighter tyres, carbon bits, but then you may as well have spent more in the first place.

Did you not look at the spec before buying, the details are on the website, they also have it I think on the labels on the bikes?

No halfords was the first one .... I never got the chance to look around as Ive said I felt pushed into getting this bike as halfords head office will try and change it for right size will post update after I've been in to c them

Hughes

Sick of repeating myself getting bike changed tomorrow update all tomorrow

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
OK
Lets start afresh, it seems you have issues related to fit , what size did you buy and how tall are you ?
This website has good advice on a basic fit ...
http://www.jimlangley.net/crank/bikefit.html.
I am going to leave your thoughts on what you expected for your money , how long ago did you buy your steel bike that weighed less ?, as late as 1993 migual indurain was winning the TDF on a bike about half a kilo lighter than the quoted weight for the zelos .

freiston

Veteran
Hi I've got a carrera zelos personally its halfords sold me wrong size and its heavy not a smooth ride wish I'd never got it worst bike I've ever bought it about fast as a snail on steroids its rubbish and should b scrapped...

...Told halfords i wanted something light ....Chain set is steel (crank)

...The crank is steel and thats y its heavy and not aluminium or catbon n frame is 3cm smaller for my build and I only carry underseat bag light lights and light computer and two water bottles I've had steel road. That's been lighter than this one and when you pick it up you can feel the weight in crank
According to the Halfords website, the crankset/chainset is a PROWHEEL, A1-221C - which has forged aluminium cranks with steel rings and a steel spider (linky). I seriously doubt that any weight saved by replacing the steel components of the chainset with alloy would make any noticeable difference to cycling speeds - you could probably offset the extra weight by using lighter shoes! Someone else made this point earlier - the bike costs £250 - you're not going to get 'light' for that price - a good deal of people who want light would buy something like a Shimano 105 groupset - which costs half as much again as the whole Zelos bike costs (then they would spend a shed-load on the frame and wheels etc).

My bike is a weighty steel-framed and forked touring bike (probably about 13 or 14 kg) and I usually go out with a hefty chain bike-lock which weighs over 2kg, a tool kit that weighs a kilo and 1.5 litres of water (amongst other things). I can go at about 17 mph comfortably on the flat (I can do more but usually do less) and I often go over 30 mph down hill - if I go on to the drops, there are several places that I go down-hill at 25-30 mph with absolutely no pedalling. Uphill, I slow down to as low as 6 mph. I am not fit and I'm not a fast cyclist. My dynamo lights are always on.

What speeds are you cycling at and what speeds are you expecting?

I agree that a bad fit could make a drastic difference to pedalling efficiency but even with a frame 3cm smaller than the recommended size, I would expect to be able to get a reasonable fit.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
According to the Halfords website, the crankset/chainset is a PROWHEEL, A1-221C - which has forged aluminium cranks with steel rings and a steel spider (linky). I seriously doubt that any weight saved by replacing the steel components of the chainset with alloy would make any noticeable difference to cycling speeds - you could probably offset the extra weight by using lighter shoes! Someone else made this point earlier - the bike costs £250 - you're not going to get 'light' for that price - a good deal of people who want light would buy something like a Shimano 105 groupset - which costs half as much again as the whole Zelos bike costs (then they would spend a shed-load on the frame and wheels etc).

My bike is a weighty steel-framed and forked touring bike (probably about 13 or 14 kg) and I usually go out with a hefty chain bike-lock which weighs over 2kg, a tool kit that weighs a kilo and 1.5 litres of water (amongst other things). I can go at about 17 mph comfortably on the flat (I can do more but usually do less) and I often go over 30 mph down hill - if I go on to the drops, there are several places that I go down-hill at 25-30 mph with absolutely no pedalling. Uphill, I slow down to as low as 6 mph. I am not fit and I'm not a fast cyclist. My dynamo lights are always on.

What speeds are you cycling at and what speeds are you expecting?

I agree that a bad fit could make a drastic difference to pedalling efficiency but even with a frame 3cm smaller than the recommended size, I would expect to be able to get a reasonable fit.
Yes , my self built vanquish is used as a commuter and im going around 21 mph on the flat .Thats a similar alloy frame , similar chainset , yea i know it has a carbon fork and lighter wheels but thats outweighed by rack,panniers, lights , sarnies , work clothes , waterproofs, tools, pump etc .

Andrew1971

Veteran
Hi All
My other half has just got a carrera zelos and she like's it. Just got a shorter stem on it and tweaking to get
it comfy. She chose to go for a man's bike because female one's are heavier.
Andrew

vickster

Legendary Member
Well it might be true if comparing to a cheap heavy steel step through...but sounds like nonsense if talking about a women's roadbike equivalent to the Zelos!

Top Bottom