Carrying bike on a large camping trailer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rafiki

Retired Brit living in Spain
How do you carry your bike in or on your camping trailer? I have an ex-army Sankey trailer which I tow with my Defender. Looking for ideas...

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
rafiki said:
How do you carry your bike in or on your camping trailer? I have an ex-army Sankey trailer which I tow with my Defender. Looking for ideas...

Roof bars fitted to the trailer. I went to our local forge
(cost me £ 10.00)who knocked a set up and then I can either carry a roof box on it or fit it with a cycle carrier.

29mafkn.jpg

The above is the answer I would advocate, but it does restrict access.

A tailgate trailer allows access to the contents without the need to remove the bikes.

OP
OP
rafiki

rafiki

Cunobelin said:
A tailgate trailer allows access to the contents without the need to remove the bikes.

Thanks but I'm trying to think what is meant by a tailgate trailer. Could you explain a bit please?

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Cunobelin said:
The above is the answer I would advocate, but it does restrict access.

Aha one step ahead of you. The above trailer is hinged on one side and with the use of 2 chains fitted inside the lid can be opened and secured without the need for removing anything attached to the top :tongue:

Some early Sankey Trailers are a solid box. Later ones have a "Tailgate" that folds down allowing access to the back...

Early "Solid" trailer

sankey-4.jpg

Later "Tailgate" trailer

trailer-3.JPG

In that case there is noproblem with fixing roof bars (welded or removable bracket) and gaining access to the contents

OP
OP
rafiki

rafiki

You're right. Trouble is I'm rather challenged with DIY stuff so I'll have to look for a ready made solution. The test will be finding bars wide enough and with feet that will attach securely to the lip of the tub.

Nice Sankeys in your pictures BTW. Are they yours?

rafiki said:
You're right. Trouble is I'm rather challenged with DIY stuff so I'll have to look for a ready made solution. The test will be finding bars wide enough and with feet that will attach securely to the lip of the tub.

Nice Sankeys in your pictures BTW. Are they yours?

No, off the web.

One of my colleagues runs an ex military Land rover with trailer which i s why I knew what you were referring to.

Top Bottom