Carrying cooksets on aircraft

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

there have to be laws on this..I have a meths burning trangia...I asume i cant take the fuel on the plane but what about the burner itself...should be ok right?

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
If there is not fuel in it, it should be ok, best to put it is the hold luggage.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Bigtallfatbloke said:
there have to be laws on this..I have a meths burning trangia...I asume i cant take the fuel on the plane but what about the burner itself...should be ok right?

There are rules and regulations which cover the carrying of flammable liquids and I think that cooking sets should not have any fuel in the fuel bottles or burner but I could be wrong.

I've seen advice elsewhere about washing out fuel bottles with detergent and letting them dry thoroughly. I think you might have to do the same with your burner.

Your best source of advice is likely to be the airline that you intend to use.

friedel

No fuel on the plane. Wash out your bottle with soap and water and dry before you pack it away in your checked baggage. As long as there aren't any fumes or smell of gas on the equipment you'll be fine.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Slightly OT, I tried a mini trangia last year but it took about 15 minutes to boil a pot of water enough for 2 cups of tea so I discarded it for a gaz which took about 4 minutes. I can see the advantages in remote places but is it worth it in Europe?
ps. I'm expecting some flak as I suspect the trangia is a lot of peoples favourite!

vernon

rich p said:
Slightly OT, I tried a mini trangia last year but it took about 15 minutes to boil a pot of water enough for 2 cups of tea so I discarded it for a gaz which took about 4 minutes. I can see the advantages in remote places but is it worth it in Europe?
ps. I'm expecting some flak as I suspect the trangia is a lot of peoples favourite!

Clearly the mini trangia was not your cup of tea :biggrin:

A trangia might not be suitable for use in remote areas. A multifuel stove might be more appropriate.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
vernon said:
Clearly the mini trangia was not your cup of tea :wacko:

A trangia might not be suitable for use in remote areas. A multifuel stove might be more appropriate.

Does the trangia just use meths?

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Mine uses meths..it may work on other liquid fuel but I am not sure & am not going to try it.

I cooked on mine every meal time for a week last summer and it was fine...pretty quick as well when i used the fry pan as a lid...I ha dno complaints...and the meths is easy to find in the diy shops. I have th enon stick version...easy to clean.

vernon

rich p said:
Does the trangia just use meths?

The basic Trangia uses meths though it is possible to buy gas conversion kits.

Can't see the point of converting them. It make an expensive stove into a very expensive stove unless of course you buy the Lidl Trangia clone at under a tenner.

Besides, when I run out of booze, I'd rather drink meths than sniff gas to get intoxicated :wacko:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
vernon said:

Can't see the point of converting them. It make an expensive stove into a very expensive stove unless of course you buy the Lidl Trangia clone at under a tenner.

Besides, when I run out of booze, I'd rather drink meths than sniff gas to get intoxicated :smile:

:wacko::biggrin::biggrin:
A persuasive argument!

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I've taken Trangias on planes several times with no real problems.

Sometimes an on-the-ball security guy will ask about it. If he's really keen, he may ask me to unpack it and show him it contains no fuel.

Don't try carrying the fuel, and don't put it in your hand luggage.

It's just a pain having to look for fuel when you arrive though; we've recently got a multifuel pressure stove so we can just find a petrol station and buy some petrol or diesel for it on arrival. I currently have central heating oil in it...

I wonder if you could run a multifuel on cooking oil? And are you allowed to carry that in your luggage? Not "fuel" as such, is it?

Chris James

Über Member
vernon said:

I have a gas converted Trangia and they are brilliant. Much more adjustable than the meths version, faster to boil but with the Trangia advantage of a bomb proof construction and great wind protection. Bit bulky though and I tend to use it for car camping / base camping stuff.

The gas burner is (I think) Primus designed and is very effective unlike cheap crap ones.

I suppose it does end up being fairly expensive but you do have a meths stove, a gas stove, a windshield, two pots, frying pan, kettle and pot holder for that money.

I think mine cost £80 odd in total and you can spend more than that just on a stove depending on what you want it for.

Back to the original question. Some airlines are very arsey about fuel bottles and burners so you need to wash, rinse and DRY them very well to remove all smell (not easy in the case of meths!).

You don't have that problem with gas stoves (although you can't carry the cannisters). Another reason for a gas convertor! If you do go for a gas burner then consider getting a Gosystem Power Pak or similar as they convert cheap piercable Bluet type cannisters available at French supermarkets for buttons in to the more expensive screw on cannisters.

eg on this page, although I thought I got mine for a tenner.

http://www.needlesports.com/acatalog/Sigg.html

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Fuel bottles:
I'd suggest getting a Sigg drinking bottle top with a pull-out valve and telling the man it's your waterbottle. If it's hand luggage you can put water in and empty it on demand if the liquid restrictions are still in force.

I reckon this Markill adapter is better than the Gosystem Power Pak one

Top Bottom