Carrying ironed shirts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobby

Hello!

I some times were shirts to work and am from tomorrow going to cycle in. I do not have a locker at work so what do other people do about shirts?

Cheers

Bobby

buggi

Bird Saviour
Iron 4 shirts, ride in 4 working days out of 5, and use the 5th day as a "change of clothes" day. or iron 9 shirts and use the 10th day as a change of clothes day.

or, do you know someone you work with who lives nearby who wouldn't mind take a few shirts in for you every few days?

domtyler

Über Member
I get mine laundered and ironed at the dry cleaners round the corner from work. It costs £8 for five shirts which I reckon is about as cheap as doing it yourself at home, especially when you factor in all the hassle of having to take them to and fro, doing all the washing and ironing at the weekends etc. when you should be relaxing.

If this is not an option, I used to take mine in rolled up in my panniers. You can make a nice little roll out of a shirt, pants and socks. When you unroll it, even if weeks later (I kept mine in a drawer in my desk), it will still look fine. To do this you need to learn the proper way of folding shirts, i.e. like they do in the shops, folding the sleeves in etc.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I just fold the shirt, then place in carrier bag and then put in rucksack. Careful folding or rolling is all you need. Depends upon if you intend to use panniers or rucksack. Shoes stay at work, and trousers transported in on a monday and stay at work until I bring them home on a friday

gary r

Guru
Next sell some lightweight jerseys with a shirt collar & cuffs sewn inside,So you get the look of a jersey/shirt with no hassle,I know its like the tops we had as kids but these are great,take a look.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
fossyant said:
I just fold the shirt, then place in carrier bag and then put in rucksack. Careful folding or rolling is all you need. Depends upon if you intend to use panniers or rucksack. Shoes stay at work, and trousers transported in on a monday and stay at work until I bring them home on a friday
There was no way I could have worn the same trousers for a week ! 2 days was enough, mind I did work and betted me swollocks off !

fossyant said:

Almost exactly what I do, except slide my folded shirt into a conveniently sized pocket in my rucksack . Just take 5 minutes the night before to fold the shirt carefully and you shouldn't have any problems.

I also take underwear and socks in every day. I assume that fossyant does this too.....;);)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Yes....... fresh grundies ;)

I'm office based so the trousers aren't an issue - just means less stuff to carry and less risk of creasing them. As I've got an office, it's easier to leave as much as possible behind... by reading this forum I realised most people leave shoes etc behind...doh .....many years transporting the whole lot too and from work each day....

Plus MTB shoes are a god send if your bike isn't near your desk/changing facilities.

neslon

I roll my shirt up & shove it in a rucksack. No-one has ever mentioned it being wrinkled & I have no idea if it is, nor do I care. Trousers, shoes, jackets stay at work & get swapped occasionally if I have to use a car.

The key thing is to have a good radiator to put the wet bike gear on

simoncc

Non-iron shirts are the way to do it. Wash them, put them on hangers to dry, and roll one up every day and put it in your pannier. At work they look very slightly crumpled for a minute or two then they look perfect.

The one problem with taking shirts to work is when you forget them. I forgot my shirt today :smile:. At least in the hospital I can wear one of the theatre blue tops. Maybe I should scrub up and start operating :blush:

Top Bottom