Carrying stuff with a bike seat on the back

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
First run to the park with my 2.5 year old in the bike seat was a resounding success. I enjoyed cycling in normal clothes, not getting sweaty and pootling along cycleways rather than hammering down the roads as fast as I can, and my daughter loved it too - even when we went the long way home down a rough track for a few miles.

The only issue that arose was carrying the small amount of stuff needed to take a nappy-wearing toddler out. I had a small backpack, but I had to have the thing pulled really tight to avoid it getting in her way, then she messed about with the straps and pulled it tighter - laughing as she did it!

I've got a seat-mounted rack, but I won't be able to use it with the bike seat, so my thoughts are that a handlebar bag would do the job of giving us enough room to pack some nappies, wipes, snacks etc. and the packaway rucksack I was using if we need to get any shopping.

What does everyone else do, and can anyone recommend a cheap handlebar bag? It's really only for use a few times a week so I don't want to spend a fortune, but don't want something cr•p either. Do I just look out for a nice 2nd hand branded one?

festival

Über Member
hate to say it but try halfrauds for h/bar bag.
I bought a wash bag from the pound shop that had loops on it for some reason and cable tied it to the back of the seat using the exsisting holes already on the seat. worked a treat for the essentials

OP
OP
eldudino

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
I didn't really fancy putting something on the seat itself as it'll affect the weight limit (it's one that cantilevers off the seat tube), to it's something up front or nothing. I reckon the bar bag route is the one to go down.

400bhp

Guru
I didn't really fancy putting something on the seat itself as it'll affect the weight limit (it's one that cantilevers off the seat tube), to it's something up front or nothing. I reckon the bar bag route is the one to go down.

Unless your 2.5 year old is right on the weight limit of the seat (perhaps up to 22kgs for the better seats) then a small bag attached to the back of the seat will make no difference.

I have this problem and currently manage to stuff a small Topeak Aero under the seat, plus using shorts with zips/cycle tops with back pockets helps.

When I get round to it I'll figure out a way of attaching something to the child seat.

OP
OP
eldudino

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
It's more to find a solution to the problem when she's nearing the weight - at the moment she's only 12kg so there's still a fair way to go until it's a real concern! I packed my shorts well, but I fancy something that does it in a oner, which a bar bag seems to do. I'd thought about front panniers but it's a bit overkill for what I need!

OP
OP
eldudino

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
[QUOTE 1376101"]
If it's a Hamax seat you can move the seat back along the metal bracket.
[/quote]

It is a Hamax, I just quite like the idea that I won't need to take a backpack. Are they ok right the way back? It's the reclining one too so I wondered if it'd be a bit ponderous all the way back and at maximum recline?

edindave

Über Member
Aaaaah that's interesting... My 15 month old likes to bounce on the Hamax seat and it rubs the wheel (MTB)... I am the 3rd 'user' of it, perhaps there is room for tweaking... I'll try to move it further 'in' so it's got less moment. If possible!
thumbsup.png

david1701

a basket might work and be a bit more flexible than a bar bag as you could just chuck lock and should bag in it then you can lock the bike up and be fine?

OP
OP
eldudino

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
Aaaaah that's interesting... My 15 month old likes to bounce on the Hamax seat and it rubs the wheel (MTB)

I seem to remember being a bit taller than you so maybe it's an issue with a smaller bike frame? Mine's mounted fairly high but seems pretty stable.

a basket might work and be a bit more flexible than a bar bag as you could just chuck lock and should bag in it then you can lock the bike up and be fine?

Basket's aren't really my cup of tea and wouldn't really look right on the roughstuff bike that I've got! I agree that it'd be useful though!

Bayerd

Über Member
First run to the park with my 2.5 year old in the bike seat was a resounding success. I enjoyed cycling in normal clothes, not getting sweaty and pootling along cycleways rather than hammering down the roads as fast as I can, and my daughter loved it too - even when we went the long way home down a rough track for a few miles.

The only issue that arose was carrying the small amount of stuff needed to take a nappy-wearing toddler out. I had a small backpack, but I had to have the thing pulled really tight to avoid it getting in her way, then she messed about with the straps and pulled it tighter - laughing as she did it!

I've got a seat-mounted rack, but I won't be able to use it with the bike seat, so my thoughts are that a handlebar bag would do the job of giving us enough room to pack some nappies, wipes, snacks etc. and the packaway rucksack I was using if we need to get any shopping.

What does everyone else do, and can anyone recommend a cheap handlebar bag? It's really only for use a few times a week so I don't want to spend a fortune, but don't want something cr•p either. Do I just look out for a nice 2nd hand branded one?

You lucky so and so, I take my 2 yo daughter out on the bike, but she gets bored after 1/2 hour or so, which means I don't really need to take anything with me. How do you keep yours entertained for a longer ride?

OP
OP
eldudino

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
You lucky so and so, I take my 2 yo daughter out on the bike, but she gets bored after 1/2 hour or so, which means I don't really need to take anything with me. How do you keep yours entertained for a longer ride?

I went out with a mate who had his daughter of a similar age on the back of his bike and they entertained each other, sang songs, talked to us, pointed out cows/horses/pigs in the fields etc. Failing all of the above, I reckon singing like a loon would help!

We didn't really go far, just to one of the parks in town, but took the long way there and longer way back!
biggrin.gif

Bayerd

Über Member
I went out with a mate who had his daughter of a similar age on the back of his bike and they entertained each other, sang songs, talked to us, pointed out cows/horses/pigs in the fields etc. Failing all of the above, I reckon singing like a loon would help!

We didn't really go far, just to one of the parks in town, but took the long way there and longer way back!
biggrin.gif

That's all pretty similar to what I do, unfortunately I don't know anyone (yet) that both cycles and has a toddler so travel alone. I normally tell her we're going to see nanna/ducks/park/lunch etc, then take about 10 miles to get there. Because that's about the furthest I have gone with her I haven't bothered taking anything with me so far, but I'll watch the thread with interest as I'm hoping she'll be happy to go further soon and I will need something myself.

OP
OP
eldudino

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
That's all pretty similar to what I do, unfortunately I don't know anyone (yet) that both cycles and has a toddler so travel alone. I normally tell her we're going to see nanna/ducks/park/lunch etc, then take about 10 miles to get there. Because that's about the furthest I have gone with her I haven't bothered taking anything with me so far, but I'll watch the thread with interest as I'm hoping she'll be happy to go further soon and I will need something myself.

That's my plan - say "we're off to the park" then go the hilly route there! :biggrin:

It was pretty good cycling with someone else doing the same - he's a member of the bike club and we're both missing club rides at the moment - he's got a 4 week old, and my wife's due tomorrow so our summer season will be limited to resistance training with toddlers on the back of the bikes!

Top Bottom