Carrying stuff with a bike seat on the back

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
It is a Hamax, I just quite like the idea that I won't need to take a backpack. Are they ok right the way back? It's the reclining one too so I wondered if it'd be a bit ponderous all the way back and at maximum recline?

I guess you have the same seat as me (Siesta)?

I'm a bit dubious about moving the seat all the way back. IIRC the centre of the seat should be directly above the hub of the rear wheel.

OP
OP
eldudino

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
I guess you have the same seat as me (Siesta)?

I'm a bit dubious about moving the seat all the way back. IIRC the centre of the seat should be directly above the hub of the rear wheel.

That's where I positioned it too. To be fair, I've only used it twice since I got it last week so there'll be plenty of time to see what works and what doesn't. Overall I'm well impressed with it, the bracket is a great idea - before I did any research I was convinced I'd have to put a rack on the bike which = more expense and more faff.

400bhp

Guru
I'm like you, I enjoy pottering about with my 2 year old daughter on the back. It's a nice change from hammering down the road on the racer.

She'll often fall asleep in it too.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I went out with a mate who had his daughter of a similar age on the back of his bike and they entertained each other, sang songs, talked to us, pointed out cows/horses/pigs in the fields etc. Failing all of the above, I reckon singing like a loon would help!

We didn't really go far, just to one of the parks in town, but took the long way there and longer way back!
biggrin.gif

It gets better too.
My 10 y.o. really enjoys the back of the tandem and keeps up a steady flow of moderately sane chatter.

My favorite (a few hours into our JoGLE)
"Dad, where are we going?"
"Well, it's about 20 miles...."
"Only this road looks like it goes to the middle of nowhere"

A few days later...
"Dad, is this ANOTHER road to the middle of nowhere ?"

zizou

Veteran
You could try a frame bag, will be have less of a negative impact on handling than a bar bag

OP
OP
eldudino

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
You could try a frame bag, will be have less of a negative impact on handling than a bar bag

I had thought about that but with there's not much room due to the Hamax bracket, Scottoiler and bottle cage. Plus my cables run along the top of the top tube, inc. disc brake line so there's not much scope for pixing up there either. I think the bar bag might help balance out the weight at the rear too.

andyg9053

try wearing rucsac on your front, littlun cant fiddle then as you arent going too far

OP
OP
eldudino

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
I really want to get away from having to wear a rucksack - front/back it'll be a pain in the summer.

I've just sourced a 2nd hand Altura Fusion bar bag for a tenner so I'll be keen to try that out this weekend providing it arrives in the post!

edindave

Über Member
[QUOTE 1376115"]
Be careful. One of ours did that and almost wore right through the plastic mount on the bottom of the seat on only one ride. You can buy different brackets to lift the seat higher. We got one and it solved the problem.
[/quote]

Crikey, hadn't thought of that. Cheers will look into it more carefully!

OP
OP
eldudino

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
I wonder if something like this could be used under the seat (above mudguard/wheel) mounted to the inbuilt rack part of the Hamax.

VAU409.jpg

I don't think I'll need any more space at the moment, but woth conisdering if I find myself short of room in the future. It still doesn't get around the issue of extra weight on the child seat though.

EDIT: Obviously Edindave shouldn't try to use one of these until he gets the wheel-rubbing issue sorted!!!

Downward

Guru
My daughter who is 2.5 too has a Peppa Pig rucksack for Pre School . We have the Hamax siesta I think. I just loop the rucksack straps through the spare cut outs in the seat and attach some string to the hole in the top around the loop at the top of the rucksack. I have done this a few times when taking her to preschool.

hamax-siesta-child-seat.jpg

OP
OP
eldudino

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
Bar bag still hasn't come
sad.gif
but to solve the shopping problems, I've just ordered a pair of front low-rider pannier racks, only £6 from Wiggle and I can use the panniers I already have on them. Bar bag will be every day use, but low-riders can be brought into play if I need to get a loaf.

lifeline-front-pannier-rack.jpg

Top Bottom