• pannier

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • courier bag

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • combination of other options

• Sainsburys bag swinging from handlebars

• novosport lockable tailfairing (whatever that is)

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Carradice longflap camper saddle bag (I'm very old, you see)

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domd1979

Veteran
Panniers... avoids a rucksack obliterating hi-vis scenario! If on the Brompers I have the fantastic front basket type attachment, which carries an enormous amount.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
domd1979 said:
Panniers... avoids a rucksack obliterating hi-vis scenario! If on the Brompers I have the fantastic front basket type attachment, which carries an enormous amount.

I bought a Respro Hi-Viz 'The Hump' Rucksack cover last winter to avoid the problem of the rucksack (Berghaus Freeflo III 30+10) covering my hi-viz waistcoat. Worked fine but it was always just a bit too small if the rucksack was pretty empty, and really straining at the seams if it was half-full (their website clamined it would fit a rucksack with the capacity that mine has, but it didn't). Accidentally tore off one of the poppers that held one of the two straps on, but managed OK without it and I was going to fit a replacement. Then I stupidly put the thing in the washing machine and it was ruined (the white waterproof coating on the inside shed like dandruff and covered my washing in millions of tiny white rubbery flakes).

£25 down the drain ;)

Anyone got a recommendation for something similar that I can pick up for this winter ?

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I used to carry a rucksack, until I tried panniers, now I avoid using the rucksack where ever possible. As for hi-viz, mine are black...

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I'm also suprised nobody uses my solution.
I've done panniers, rucksacks and Carradice saddlebags (of which I am a big fan), but now I am a daily user of.......THE BASKET!
Tie-wrapped one onto the rack of my mtb commute-mule. Excellent, can carry my computer bag, a rucksack, shopping all sorts of stuff, just chuck it in and away we go. Now I know there is a slight security risk, but a few bungees over the top of the rack will befuddle the opportunist (well it befuddles me when I get to work).
Truly the fabbest bit of commuting kit I have ever bought. I commend rear-rack baskets to the forum.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I use a saddlebag on my fixie, on a Bagman QR support. Usually a Junior, but I swap for a Nelson Longflap if I anticipate extra luggage.
I have been known to do the plastic bag trick if I failed to anticipate.

Im constantly swapping between rucksack and panniers. I would prefer just to have a rucksack but then sometimes I need panniers so on and on the cycle goes.

Maybe I just need more bikes, two of everything, one with panniers and one without!!

col

Legendary Member
I still havnt made my mind up yet,ill be watching this thread with interest.the more pics the better please.;)

wafflycat

If I've got a lot to carry: panniers.
If not a lot, I've a choice between rackpack or solid, lockable box atop rack. I am also known to indulge in copious use of bungee cords.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
IMO the best "bungee" cords are made from old inner tubes, just used to tie on stuff. Free and effective, the African way.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Can I come and watch the assistant's face then next time they forklift your pallet of condoms out to your bike?

:ohmy:

It's a wholefood retailer, I'm not sure they do those.

Mind you, they do do Mooncups, I think...

Arch

Married to Night Train
Chuffy;42858][QUOTE=Arch said:
I'll be looking forward to your explanation of those to the assembled gentlemen of the Forum! :ohmy:[/QUOTE]

:biggrin:

I think a lot of the chaps here had that trauma when they got mentioned in a thread back on C+ last year.

Some of them are still hiding under the desk...

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Arch;42875][QUOTE=Chuffy;42858][QUOTE=Arch said:
I'll be looking forward to your explanation of those to the assembled gentlemen of the Forum! :ohmy:[/QUOTE]

:biggrin:

I think a lot of the chaps here had that trauma when they got mentioned in a thread back on C+ last year.

Some of them are still hiding under the desk...[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I'd only just got that image out of my head.

Panniers and / or rackpack. Not done the carrier bag thing since it went into the spokes, the bag ripped, stuff fell out and a bus flattened my toothpaste. Toothpaste can squirt a long way...:biggrin:

Top Bottom