Cars exiting driveways

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Martinsnos

Hi,
Just watching the Tour of Britain.
Obviously there are loads of private driveways on the course. What stops drivers exiting those and ending up on the course?
Does literally every house get a letter in advance etc?
Ta

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Yes + advanced notice of the road closure order.

Slick

Guru
Yip. :okay:

Same with any sportive, the road is closed for an advertised time making it illegal to join during those hours. Usually a few police bikers patrolling for any wide boys.

OP
OP
M

Martinsnos

Same with any sportive, the road is closed for an advertised time making it illegal to join during those hours. Usually a few police bikers patrolling for any wide boys.
Brill - many thanks. It still amazes me that very few miss it, appreciate there have been examples.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Brill - many thanks. It still amazes me that very few miss it, appreciate there have been examples.
They're rolling closures for the most part, hence police outriders in front of and behind the peloton/cavalcade. Once the event is through a closed/marshalled junction the tail end police lift the closure.

OP
OP
M

Martinsnos

They're rolling closures for the most part, hence police outriders in front of and behind the peloton/cavalcade. Once the event is through a closed/marshalled junction the tail end police lift the closure.
Totally but…there are gaps and I am surprised you don’t get more unaware people that come out onto the road (like happened in that race a couple of years ago - Italy I think).

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Just out of interest, how many closed road cycling events exist in Britain?

All the closed road sportives that I know of offhand have bitten the dust - Velo Wales, Velo Birmingham and Ride London Surrey (although this may be resurrected in some form). I think there's a closed road thing in Cambridgeshire? What else?

For pro races there was (but is no longer) Tour de Yorkshire and Ride London Classic/Classique. There's the Tour of Britain, of course, still going for now.

As for non pro or lower level pro races, I don't know much. I sometimes see closed road Crits on the telly. How many of those exist? I really don't know anything about the British road racing scene.

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
A few still survive north of the border.

Drago

Legendary Member

Correctamundo. With a legal road closure it ceases to become a highway for the duration, and driving upon it becomes an offence.

DRHysted

Guru
Just out of interest, how many closed road cycling events exist in Britain?

All the closed road sportives that I know of offhand have bitten the dust - Velo Wales, Velo Birmingham and Ride London Surrey (although this may be resurrected in some form). I think there's a closed road thing in Cambridgeshire? What else?

For pro races there was (but is no longer) Tour de Yorkshire and Ride London Classic/Classique. There's the Tour of Britain, of course, still going for now.

As for non pro or lower level pro races, I don't know much. I sometimes see closed road Crits on the telly. How many of those exist? I really don't know anything about the British road racing scene.

There was one near where we’re camping today. Went round Loch Rannoch.

Last edited:
Top Bottom