Cars from the 60's / 70's.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I worked on them starting in 76 (Saturday lad and then worked full time in summer hols)

Most were the V4's but there were 2 of the older 2 strokes 1 the standard car and the other an 850 Monte Carlo Sport

They were my dad's choice of cars from the early 60's to the arrival of company cars in the mid 70's .
I had a v4 one and really enjoyed it

oldwheels

Legendary Member
It wasn't mine, but I remember driving one of these from London to Preston sometime late 60s. No front brake, no rear suspension, 200cc Villiers engine.
View attachment 717310

Is that the one where you lifted the bonnet and kick started?
The front end looks to be styled differently from the one I had.

richardfm

Veteran
I have never had this happen and don’t know of any Imp owners never ever experience this. However, as a mechanical engineer it is a simple operation to perform on a very basic vertical milling machine.

I may have misremembered. I found this "There are differences to the Mark 1 and the Mark 2 engine blocks. On Mk1 (or curly edge) blocks there is room for 'movement' due to the top deck being a little flimsy. This can lead to gasket failure." here https://www.imps4ever.info/tech/engine.html that may be what I was thinking of

gbb

Legendary Member
The only car I ever had that I hated wasa modern one, a Ford Focus.
All my former cars had some redeeming features...
Minis, wouldn't have one now but all three were great fun, one a howler of a rustbucket but the others died because of the way I drove them, not because of any inherent weakness in them.

Ford Cortina Mk1, loved that car. I'd have one tomorrow

Austin Allegro, it's redeeming feature was it was a twin card 1750HL so went fairly well. No rust issues.

Lancia Beta 4 door, a bit me, didn't like how often you had to change gears, really close ratio gearbox. Wouldn't bother again.

Morris Marina 1.8 TC Coupe..a solid car for me. Again, I'd have a good one for their simplicity.

Austin Maestro, went rusty real quick but was reliable motoring for me.. don't think I'd bother again.

Open Ascona 2.0 SR, solid. I'd have one again.

Those and many more,. Never was a Ford man, never will be again after the Focus but the Mk1 Cortina...,yessss

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I learnt to drive in my Dad's Austin Cambridge and my sister's Morris Minor. Once I had passed my test my Dad had Bedford CA camper van which I enjoyed driving with it's three speed column change.
My first car was a Mark II Ford Cortina and the second a Triumph Herald.

All great cars in their own way

My dad hired a Bedford camper with 3-on-the-tree when I was very little. His actual car was a Triumph Standard 8, a hand-me-down from my grandad, who gave up driving, though still able to but decided he didn't need the car any more.
In 1968 my Dad bought a Mk2 Cortina, which he had for a number of years, then bought a (ghastly) Daf 66 rubber band car when the Cortina gearbox went wrong. The Cortina languished in the drive for some tears till I was old enough to drive and I fixed it up and ran it for a good few years and did more miles in it that he had. Got a Triumph Vitesse subsequently which was great fun

Last edited:

dicko

Guru
I may have misremembered. I found this "There are differences to the Mark 1 and the Mark 2 engine blocks. On Mk1 (or curly edge) blocks there is room for 'movement' due to the top deck being a little flimsy. This can lead to gasket failure." here https://www.imps4ever.info/tech/engine.html that may be what I was thinking of

First I knew of two engine block types. My first Singer Chamois was a 1965 model my last Hillman Imp Super was a 1974 model both were superb performers. Now my Sport models both had twin Strombergs, an oil cooler, tachometer, upgraded brakes and suspension plus a special cam. If there was a difference I didn’t spot it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom