Cars from the 60's / 70's.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
On my Facebook page, I get many photos of cars from those periods. All French cars of course like: Citroen Ami, Renault Gordini 8, Dauphine , 4CV and R16, Simca 1000 and 1100, Peugeot 403 and 404 , Citroen 2CV, GS and the most beautiful of all, the Citroen DS Pallas. All of these bring back many memories and many have disappeared from the roads now. Which cars bring back many memories for you?

The first car I had was a 2cv - well it was my Mum's but I was allowed to drive it whenever she didn;t need it - which was most of the time

I thought it was wonderful - you could go anywhere in them

I saw a review of them ina performance car magazine
the 0-60 time was listed as "probably"

My Dad eventually said it had to go for the trivial reason that the brake didn;t work every time

I mean - talk about over- reaction - then pretty much always worked if you took your foot of the pedal and tried again
Only remember then failing second time once

so - in the view of a 17/18 year old boy - it worked well enough!!!

apparently the problem was caused by the front drums being inboard and right next to the engine - hence the lining got hot and glazed

anyway - it got traded in

Sharky

Guru
A35 van, my first vehicle after passing my test in 1970, closely followed by my 1965 MG Midget a couple of years later.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I give you the Morris Maxi. :eek:

seemed like a huge car back then... these days i reckon it'd be no larger than a new Mini.

edit... as for memories; a group of eight year olds racing their various bikes around the residential streets we lived. The leader was pedalling furiously whilst looking back at us losers, then smashed into the back of parked Maxi. Nobody died :smile:

Last edited:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
My red TR4a (1966) was a great car. It had the aluminium Surrey top, like the one in the picture, but it also had the folding canvas top on rods. After I bought it, my mate fitted it with overdrive on 2nd, 3rd and 4th and a full stainless steel exhaust.

It had its little quirks, like the passenger door popping open if you hit a bump while negotiating a right hand bend or a roundabout. Initially, I quickly got into the habit of holding the door handle with my left hand during such a manouver (the car was much narrower than those of today) but then I invested in a length of string which I attched to the door handle and looped around the handbrake.

IMG_0415.jpeg

I don’t remember a single day that I drove that car where someone didn’t wave at me.

I once booked it in at a local garage to get the rough idling fixed as I couldn’t get it smooth myself. When I went back for it, the garage owner was thanking me for bringing it to him. He said it had been years since he’d worked on a car that didn’t need a laptop plugged into it and he was so happy to be able to work on a ‘proper’ engine. He couldn’t stop smiling as he explained everything he’d done.

richardfm

Veteran
I learnt to drive in my Dad's Austin Cambridge and my sister's Morris Minor. Once I had passed my test my Dad had Bedford CA camper van which I enjoyed driving with it's three speed column change.
My first car was a Mark II Ford Cortina and the second a Triumph Herald.

All great cars in their own way

Drago

Legendary Member
My dad had one for awhile. It was eventful when the brakes failed

My Dad had a Lancia Beta. Two in fact. Sporty and desirable, the 3 series of its day...for about 10 minutes, whereupon the tinworm took a hold. He had a wheel, andactual steel wheel, corrode so badly the rim sheared off and went on its merry way without the rest or the car.

Lancia offered him a choice of them buying it back or a replacement car. He took the car, and the replacement was sorted, no worse than any other 70s car for rust, but the damage to the brand was already done.

Interesting how these things go full circle. While my Dad was in college he had a part time job at an Austin-Morris dealer tarting up the rust on brand new cars, making them look half presentable prior to delivery.

Top Bottom