Cartridge wheel bearings.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goody

Veteran
Wheels Kinesis Crosslight V3, 4 bearings in rear wheel slight play noticed 500 miles is this normal?
If they were cup and cone I'd adjust them. They still spin smooth and free but the play wasn't there when the wheels were new. Cheers!

It takes a very, very long time for deep groove bearings to wear to a point where play is perceptible. Something else is amiss. The play is not in the bearings but probably between bearing and axle or such.

Bodhbh

Guru
I don't really know much on this but my one and only hub with cartridge bearings - and one and only Chris King bit of kit - developed play fairly quickly. Consulting the manufacturers instructions, apparently this is to be expected - just tighten it up as per the directions, carry on riding, and hopefully the issue doesn't darken your door again for a looooooooong time.

I don't really know much on this but my one and only hub with cartridge bearings - and one and only Chris King bit of kit - developed play fairly quickly. Consulting the manufacturers instructions, apparently this is to be expected - just tighten it up as per the directions, carry on riding, and hopefully the issue doesn't darken your door again for a looooooooong time.
Your comment is a bit ambiguous, can't figure out whether the CK hub developed play or the catridge bearing one. The CK one develops initial play for a reason that have nothing to do with wear.

Bodhbh

Guru
Your comment is a bit ambiguous, can't figure out whether the CK hub developed play or the catridge bearing one. The CK one develops initial play for a reason that have nothing to do with wear.

The CK hub is a cartridge one. I guess that was my point - the hubs develop play as part of the bedding in, it's not an issue with the bearings going south.

Top Bottom