Case/Bag to check in on airlines?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Probably doesn't qualify as 'affordable,' but I use the B&W Foldon:
http://bike-cases.co.uk/downloads/BW_foldon_box_flyer.pdf

Action Bikes keep them in stock if you want to look at one.

The cheapest option is the original box plus lots of bubblewrap and tape ...

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I fly my bike around Europe in something not much thicker than cling film. I prefer to fly it with no cover at all if I can get away with it. It always comes out unscathed.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
would like tips on what is affordable case/carrier should I want to check in a Brompton when flying.
Hi
Couple options.
The BW case is good but heavy and for my S6L too close to the 24kg limit. I went for a Polaris EVA bike pod. So far so good. The trolley handle is a bit exposed so use a wide luggage strap. Another option I have seen on the London Brompton Club Facebook page is just to find a regular hard shell suitcase that fits.
I have seen Brommies as carry ins but that seems too much effort.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Carry-on is fine when flying business class – done it loads of times, just ask at check-in for a gate-check tag, then remove it when past Security and no-one blinks when you arrive at the door with a Brompton and a business class boarding pass. But too much risk of a refusal when flying economy, so I just check it.

jay clock

Massive member
If Easyjet/Ryanair the Ikea bag system won't work. If they can see it will contains a bike or is clearly a bike case they will charge a sports equipment fee. So find a regular suitcase that it will fit into

StuartG

slower but further
If Easyjet/Ryanair the Ikea bag system won't work. If they can see it will contains a bike or is clearly a bike case they will charge a sports equipment fee. So find a regular suitcase that it will fit into
I use the B&W case and when flying Ryanair book it as a sports bag. This gives a much higher allowance. So I squeeze anything and everything in with the bike. Whereas if you book it as standard luggage you are right on the limit (and have probably had to pack the pedals in your pocket)*

* Titanium owners may smirk at this point.

Top Bottom