Casette change queries?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TK421

Casual Extremist
I have a set of Specialzed Classic wheels I've been toying with the idea of using as a winter set of wheels and the rear has a SunRace 8 speed casette, which I think (I may be wrong) is the original casette. Is it a straight (as it can be) swap to change this for an 11 speed casette or is it a case of specific hubs for specific casettes?

Last edited:
OP
OP
TK421

TK421

Casual Extremist
Forgot to say planning on a shimano 105 casette to match the shifter/deraileur set-up.

Hopefully I am interpreting your post right. If the winter wheel has an 11speed hub and it is Shimano/ SRAM it is a straight forward swap to put an 11spd 105 casette on but if Sunrace has an older 8/9/10 speed hub an 11sp cassette wont fit. I think although the splines are identical on all shimano/SRAM hubs (Campagolo is different) there is some spacing issues between the different speed of hub (you can put an 8/9/10sp cassette on an 11sp hub with spacers but you can't do it the other way round, put an 11sp cassette on an 8/9/10spd hub).

OP
OP
TK421

TK421

Casual Extremist
If the winter wheel has an 11speed hub and it is Shimano/ SRAM it is a straight forward swap to put an 11spd 105 casette on but if Sunrace has an older 8/9/10 speed hub an 11sp cassette wont fit
I thought that might be the case, hence the the change of wheels to accommodate the 11sp cassette. Ta very much for the reply.

Mike_P

Guru
Hopefully I am interpreting your post right. If the winter wheel has an 11speed hub and it is Shimano/ SRAM it is a straight forward swap to put an 11spd 105 casette on but if Sunrace has an older 8/9/10 speed hub an 11sp cassette wont fit. I think although the splines are identical on all shimano/SRAM hubs (Campagolo is different) there is some spacing issues between the different speed of hub (you can put an 8/9/10sp cassette on an 11sp hub with spacers but you can't do it the other way round, put an 11sp cassette on an 8/9/10spd hub).
Shimano do a 11 speed cassette 11-34 that fits 10 speed hubs https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/shimano105-r7000/CS-HG700-11.html

davidphilips

Veteran
Walking the dog this morning I was swesting like Fred West on an episode of Ground Force, so I am now in shorts.

Good to hear from you again Drago, Garage all fiinhed, Whats you been up to?

Ajax Bay

Guru
Walking the dog this morning I was swesting like Fred West on an episode of Ground Force, so I am now in shorts.
Welcome back! Has the Met Police appraisal awakened you? (For the avoidance of doubt; meant in pure jest.)
CC has been a paler place during your sabbatical.

Top Bottom