Chain ring cog change

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

OnyrBikeBaz

Hi All
My first post.
I am looking to replace the original front cog to a smaller one on my Whyte white chapel Cycle in order to help me out with a forthcoming cycle from the NewForest to Dove along the south coast.
I am looking for confirmation or advice on the most compatable solution for this bike please.

AndyRM

XOXO
If it's the standard Whitechapel I've just had a look at, you've got a 42t cog up front and it's a Shimano set-up. I'm guessing you want a bit of a lower gearing range for hills, so a 36t or a 38t would give you that but would mean that you'd possibly be "spinning" on the flat a bit more.

Standard 4 bolt system so an easy enough swap if you've the right tools. You'd only need to shorten the chain, which is also simple, but if you're not confident a shop would do it for the cost of an hours labour so around £25-£40 depending on where you are.

The cog would set you back around £20, though a shop may do you a deal if you buy from them and have them do the installation.

OP
OP
O

OnyrBikeBaz

Thank you Andy, that’s just what I needed. I’ll try swapping it out see how I get on.
I suppose the other way round it would be to put a larger cog on the back. Is it possible to swap out the largest cog for a slightly bigger one or does that effect the type of derailleur needed?

AndyRM

XOXO
Thank you Andy, that’s just what I needed. I’ll try swapping it out see how I get on.
I suppose the other way round it would be to put a larger cog on the back. Is it possible to swap out the largest cog for a slightly bigger one or does that effect the type of derailleur needed?

You could, but then you'd have a big jump between the cogs at the rear, and may require a long cage rear derailleur too; there may be one already but without knowing your exact bike I couldn't be sure.

Top Bottom