Cash only

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Most staff would never have seen one, yet alone know how to use it.
The carbon copy was always terrible anyway.
I can remember the "double crunch" noise that those made. I knew something was missing in my life.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
[QUOTE 5264990, member: 43827"]I am one of those fogeys who still uses cash for anything under about twenty quid, and sometimes a lot more. I hate this data greedy society we live in where the card issuers can track just about everything you buy. The cashless society can be very convenient, especially for online buys, but I think convenience can be over-rated.

It will all end in tears, you mark my words.[/QUOTE]

We're so vulnerable to a failure in the technology we us and criminals are getting so good at catching us out you are without a doubt right.

TVC

[QUOTE 5264990, member: 43827"]I am one of those fogeys who still uses cash for anything under about twenty quid, and sometimes a lot more. I hate this data greedy society we live in where the card issuers can track just about everything you buy. The cashless society can be very convenient, especially for online buys, but I think convenience can be over-rated.

It will all end in tears, you mark my words.[/QUOTE]
I always have a couple of hundred in cash available. It might not be in my back pocket, but if the electronic payment system falls over for more than a few hours then I can still buy my prosecco and maltesers.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
We're so vulnerable to a failure in the technology we us and criminals are getting so good at catching us out you are without a doubt right.

A mate of mine has fallen victim to criminal activity on his TSB account twice this year - including the recent and apparently on going frauds following their IT update that don't seem to be getting anywhere the media coverage you might expect.
He's only just got his money back from the last time and then couldn't use his card on Friday. He now carries some actual money, just in case!

DRHysted

Guru
A mate of mine has fallen victim to criminal activity on his TSB account twice this year - including the recent and apparently on going frauds following their IT update that don't seem to be getting anywhere the media coverage you might expect.
He's only just got his money back from the last time and then couldn't use his card on Friday. He now carries some actual money, just in case!

I always have my debit card with one firm and credit with another for this reason. When ever I get done my bank normally has everything sorted and a new debit card in my possession within 3 days. Whereas my credit card normally takes 5. My bank also has ways of getting emergency cash to me, so to be fair I don’t worry to much about carrying cash.

Sixmile

Veteran
Could this still be going on? I had my MasterCard refused at Tesco at lunchtime today. Fortunately I'd twenty quid in my pocket for cover.

tamiya

I feel for those who did their grocery shop, bagged up then were refused. Yes they could go to a cash machine but the queues were probably long and frozen stuff warming up which is not good.

That exact scenario happened just a few weeks ago downunder, Australian Woolworths (they're half of our supermarket duopoly!) tills went kaput nationwide. Nobody could pay anything whether you held cash or not, everybody got shooed out of the stores and the shutters came down.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/woolworths-outage-tills-shutdown-across-australia-39895644.html

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
A related IT/Tills anecdote.

My wife used to run a visitor centre that was hooked up to the main offices 50 miles away. All the tills, computers, EPOS systems and what have you were controlled centrally. One day she was told IT were doing a systems update overnight and the centre must not, under any circumstances, switch on their computers or tills until expressly told to do so by IT. Next morning they opened up at 8 and waited for IT to give them the all-clear. By 9, with the first tour buses arriving, there was still no word so the first of many telephone calls were made but the people in IT responsible for the work were unavailable. All that could be done were cash sales with staff writing each sale in a book, writing out manual receipts where requested and using the cash drawers only. Finally, around mid-day after almost 800 visitors, she managed to get through to IT -

"Can we switch our computers on yet?"

"Of course, the update was finished at 4.30am"

"Why didn't you inform us?"

"We did"

"You didn't"

"We did"

"You didn't"

"We did, we sent you an email"

Long pause.

"You silly sods"

Lullabelle

Banana
A related IT/Tills anecdote.

My wife used to run a visitor centre that was hooked up to the main offices 50 miles away. All the tills, computers, EPOS systems and what have you were controlled centrally. One day she was told IT were doing a systems update overnight and the centre must not, under any circumstances, switch on their computers or tills until expressly told to do so by IT. Next morning they opened up at 8 and waited for IT to give them the all-clear. By 9, with the first tour buses arriving, there was still no word so the first of many telephone calls were made but the people in IT responsible for the work were unavailable. All that could be done were cash sales with staff writing each sale in a book, writing out manual receipts where requested and using the cash drawers only. Finally, around mid-day after almost 800 visitors, she managed to get through to IT -

"Can we switch our computers on yet?"

"Of course, the update was finished at 4.30am"

"Why didn't you inform us?"

"We did"

"You didn't"

"We did"

"You didn't"

"We did, we sent you an email"

Long pause.

"You silly sods"

Sounds about right :laugh:

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Pah, you are just a child.

I remember the issue of petrol coupons in the Arab Israeli war in the early 1970s.

They were given out as a precaution, but people were never asked to use them.

When ours arrived, an elderly relative nipped upstairs and returned with some coupons he'd kept since the Second World War (or just after).

Crafty old bugger was hoping they would still be valid and he would get twice as much petrol.
I've still got my coupons from, if I remember correctly, 1973. They are identical to the WWII ones.

Top Bottom