1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cashback!

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by bonj2, 7 Sep 2007.

1. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

I just opened my mailbox and found a cheque for £218! :ohmy::biggrin::biggrin:
    it was from the conveyancing lawyers that were involved with my recent remortgaging of my flat, apparently the new mortgage was slightly more than the settlement of my old one.
    why, god knows - but this is a huge bonus to me!
    Any ideas for what to spend it on? neither of my bikes particularly need any upgrades. :blush::biggrin:

2. Dayvo

Dayvo Just passin' through

Mine do! :blush:

3. Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke New Member

over pay next month on your new mortgage....no wait that's really dull....you may need to blow it over on Wiggle or something

4. Melvil

Melvil Standard nerd

Thought this was a quote from Alan Partridge!

But still, well done Bonj!

5. Big Bren

Big Bren New Member

Me too! I was about to reply with "Jurassic Park!"

Anyhoo - congratulations Bonj. Use some of it to buy the book - 'How to win friends and influence people.'

Bren

6. twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive Clinging on tightly

:ohmy: Did you mean less ? :biggrin:

Spend it on either bike bits, good food or some realy nice beer/wine or all of the above :ohmy:

7. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

Spend it wisely, wine, women and bikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. OP
    OP
    bonj2

bonj2 Guest

er... no, more. I've borrowed more on my new mortgage than was needed to pay off my old one, so they've sent me the balance.

anyhow it looks like it's been swallowed up because squash club membership fees need renewing and I might also treat myself to a visit to a physio (who my mum recommended so highly that since then two other members of my family have been to him) to see about my slightly dodgy knee.

9. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

I think I'd have put it straight back into the mortgage.

10. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

carbon bars, stem and seatpost.

11. OP
    OP
    bonj2

bonj2 Guest

No, that's pointless. I've not missed any payments so am not behind with it, that's good enough for me. Why put it back in when I have the option of it making a difference? I'd never notice it if I put it back in.
    Besides, I'm sure you get charged fees for overpayment on most mortgages anyway.

12. OP
    OP
    bonj2

bonj2 Guest

how much weight would I save? If it's grams rather than kilogrammes it certainly isn't worth two hundred quid.

13. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

It's not pointless at all. The more you put into your mortgage, the less interest you pay, and the quicker you pay it off. Even small amounts can make a noticeable difference on something over a mortgage length of time.

If you shop around for a mortgage you can usually find one which is flexible (allows overpayments, underpayments, payment holidays) at a comparable rate to the others. You're better off managing your savings in your mortgage than having a separate savings account.

14. OP
    OP
    bonj2

bonj2 Guest

Yes but i'd be better off paying off my credit card first, but I can't really afford to. Although to be fair I have done quite well out of credit card debts and overdrafts generally.

15. Cycling Naturalist

Cycling Naturalist Legendary Member

Send it back to the solicitors and tell them to keep it as a tip.