casset trouble

Discussion in 'Fixed Gear and Single Speed' started by lip03, 16 Jul 2012.

1. lip03

lip03 Über Member

So I'm having trouble getting the lock ring off this free hub I want single speed not fixed so need to remove a few chainrings but I don't have the right tool and got no idea where to get one any ideas ? freewheel.jpg

2. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Resistance is futile! Moderator

That is a freewheel block, not a cassette.
    You need to get that off, get a single freewheel on and then sort the chainline out, probably by re-dishing the wheel.

3. compo

compo Veteran

You wont be able to remove individual sprockets from your freewheel. Freewheel extractors are only a few pounds, or take your wheel to a bike shop who will remove it for you. If you only want a single speed you will need a single speed freewheel and possibly spacers to set up your chainline.

4. Pennine-Paul

Pennine-Paul Goth on a bike............

The quality of single speed freewheels is absolutely appalling,
    Some of them only last weeks,
    I gave up using them about 5 years ago and went to fixed,
    if i was to use a freewheel again I'd get a wheel with a freehub and
    use a s/s kit on it, which makes it easier to get a good chainline too

http://velosolo.co.uk/shopsingle.html

5. simon.r

simon.r Person

Cheap and some not-so-cheap ss freewheels can be appalling, but I've had a White Industries one for a loooong time and have a relatively new (1000 miles-ish so far) Halo which still feels like new.

Having said that, if it wasn't for the aesthetics I'd go down the freehub / ss kit route as well. Call me a tart^_^

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice