Cassette compatability

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

heist

Hey, so I bought a Vitus razor vr, and it has a Claris/Sora groupset, but the cassette is a sram 9 speed. Just wondering if there was any particular reason they didn't go for the shimano cassette? Only wondering, because the cogs have started to hook slightly, and I don't think it will be long before I need to change it.

Can I use a shimano cassette?

What do I have to check when buying a replacement?

Don't want to buy the wrong part

Thanks
Matt

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Yes, SRAM and Shimano cassettes are interchangeable so no problem there.:okay:

The reason they fitted a SRAM cassette is most likely because Vitus got a better deal on buying them in bulk at the time your bike was made.

I presume that you'll be replacing the chain too? If they are the original components the chain will be well past its best by the time the cassette becomes visibly worn.

vickster

Legendary Member
Maybe shimano don't offer the gear ratios vitus wanted to use

Why don't you want a SRAM cassette, you can't tell the difference ultimately

Shimano and SRAM are interchangeable. As long as you keep the same number of sprockets, or use appropriate spacers, you'll be fine. I often change my Shimano equipped roady, between an Ultegra and SRAM 10 speed cassette, because the ratios are different. I change cassettes to suit whichever route I'm using, best.:thumbsup:

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I'm not braggng or anything, but I just swapped out my cassette in 7 minutes! It was starting to jump in certain gears so I managed to get a replacement from Chain Reaction in next to no time.
I'm ready for my next ride!

I'm not braggng or anything, but I just swapped out my cassette in 7 minutes! It was starting to jump in certain gears so I managed to get a replacement from Chain Reaction in next to no time.
I'm ready for my next ride!

With the right tools, it's a nice quick job. I've done it roadside before, the only issue with having to do it quickly, is if you forget to put the spacers in the right locations, or put a sprocket on the freehub, arse about face (not that I've ever made either of those rookie errors, you understand):whistle:.

OP
OP
heist

heist

Thanks for the responses. I don't have any problem with using sram parts, and havent had any problems with the cassette I have at the moment, so probably will end up getting the same model cassette.

I'm just trying to understand how it all works really.

I have been reading into the ratios, and if I was to change the ratio on the cassette, I would assume I would have to change the length of the chain?

Thanks
matt

Thanks for the responses. I don't have any problem with using sram parts, and havent had any problems with the cassette I have at the moment, so probably will end up getting the same model cassette.

I'm just trying to understand how it all works really.

I have been reading into the ratios, and if I was to change the ratio on the cassette, I would assume I would have to change the length of the chain?

Thanks
matt
Not necessarily. You only need to change chain length / RD cage length if you go for an extreme low ratio sprocket ( say go from a 25 / 28 tooth, to a 32 / or above). The inter-compatibility of the SRAM and Shimano cassettes, is due to the design of the sprockets, both being compatible with the SRAM / Shimano type freehub.

Top Bottom