cassette from 8 to 10 speed ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doyleyburger

Veteran
Can anyone help me with my lack of technical know how here ?........
I am looking to upgrade my components over time on my giant defy 4. I want to replace the thumb shifters on the bike anyway but I thought whilst I'm at it I may as well up the gearing, if I can.
Currently have an 8 speed cassette with double up front. Could i replace the cassette with a 9 or 10 speed without changing the existing chain rings? And would there be anything else I need to change to do this?
Thanks in advance

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Shifters,cables,chain.

Double check if your wheel will actually take a 9/10spd

MikeW-71

Veteran
You would not need to change the front rings.

You would need the 9/10 speed cassette, 9 or 10 speed chain and also Sora, Tiagra or 105 shifters. Possibly rear derailleur too, I'm not sure on that one

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Is changing from 8 to 10 really an upgrade?

No, I'm being serious here.
More expensive cassettes, more expensive chains, which wear faster and so need replacing more frequently, and what have you actually gained?

I think you'd have to replace the shifters etc as well so if changing from one setup to another, it's gonna be costly!

OP
OP
Doyleyburger

Doyleyburger

Veteran
Is changing from 8 to 10 really an upgrade?

No, I'm being serious here.
More expensive cassettes, more expensive chains, which wear faster and so need replacing more frequently, and what have you actually gained?
An extra couple of gears !

Yeah I'm sure it will be costly @Easytigers but I will be buying most of this over time so I wont notice it so much.....hopefully.
The shifters are a must to change as im not getting along with these silly little thumb switches. I don't really want to buy twice if I'm going to eventually change cassette etc.
(If I buy 8 speed shifters now I'd only have to change them again when I get a new cassette) .....so thought I may as well do it all at once if I'm going to do it at all

OP
OP
Doyleyburger

Doyleyburger

Veteran
Blimey that is a good deal !
Wasn't expecting to get it all at once but ill see how my penny jar is looking ha ha
Compact is what I'm using now so that's fine.
Cheers for the link

Top Bottom