Cassette Off, Freehub out, what next!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I've been trying to rescue this back wheel for months, and I couldn't even get the cassette off, until I squeezed the cassette into a vice and off it came! Now i'm completely new to the world of freehubs so forgive my ignorance. I wan't to save the wheel as it is light and straight. However the casseette was very wobbly on the freehub and became unusable, the chain would jump around all the time and shifting was hit and miss.

WP_20170401_14_54_09_Pro.jpg

The next stage was to get the freehub off / out, but this setup has sealed bearings which again would not budge (I've never installed or removed sealed bearing before). Anyway, I managed to take the whole freehub out by hitting the non drive side.

And here's what plopped out.
WP_20170401_15_17_14_Pro.jpg

I've never actually handled this assembly before and it is mind bogglingly complicated.

What sort of axle and freehub is this, the Wheel is a Cole Rollen.

So, should I give up at this stage or try and find a replacement axle and freehub?

gbb

Legendary Member
It's really the simplest in my experience. Same as the Fulcrum 5 freehub in essence. Your problem is wobbling sprockets on the freehub yes ?
You have some 'bite' marks where the sprockets engage the freehub but that's normally not a problem.
Has anyone had the cassette off in the past, was it always a problem ?
I did once have mine off and failed to get the sprockets and lockring correctly aligned and what happened was I trapped the 11t between the lockring and the end of the freehub. Result is the lockring and the smallest sprocket is tight, you think all is well but all the other sprockets are slightly loose, you dont even realise unless you wiggle them or start to ride and of course all the shifts are hopeless.
Just something worth checking

Last edited:

lpretro1

Pop the freehub body back in and then knock the axle out towards the non-drive side - it may requyire a very hefty bash so support the hub & wheel properly. Once the axle is out you can then deal with the bearings in the freehub more easily. Knock these out and replace then Tap (welly?) out the hub bearing each side and then reverse the process - be careful to ensure new bearings go in straight. Grease everything well as you put it in for future ease of repair

gbb

Legendary Member
Do you detect any problem with the bearings ?
Put your finger on them and spin or turn them as best you can, dodgy bearings will soon be recognised. Turn the freehub body on the axle, is it secure, is there any sloppiness . The body probably will slide up and down the axle, that'd be normal. If the bearings are smooth, they're not likely to be the cause of your loose cassette.

gbb

Legendary Member
Or a simpler way to deduce what's happening, or to dismiss other stuff, refit the axle and freehub to the wheel WITHOUT the cassette. Is there any play, roughness etc while everything is refitted. ?

Top Bottom