Cassette Play!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bikeman66

Hi all,

I have just replaced the original Sunrace 11-25, 9 speed cassette on my bike with a Shimano HG 80 11-28 (also 9 speed).

I have tightened the lock ring to the specified torque but there is still noticeable free play in the cassette. Only the 11 tooth sprocket is totally free of play, as it is locked in place directly by the lock ring. The other sprockets have about 1mm of side to side play. I don't seem to remember the old cassette having this issue, so was wondering if a small amount of play is acceptable or even normal? If it is not acceptable, is there an after market spacer I could fit?

The freehub body is a Sunrace unit, so compatability with Shimano might be the issue, although the new cassette fits well on the splines.

Appreciate hearing what you guys think about this. Thanks in advance.

That cassette requires a spacer. That spacer, 0.5mm thick, sits right behind the cassette against the freehub.

RebornBumbler

I didn't have that problem on my Felt F95 when I replaced the supplied Sunrace cassette with a Shimano - but if it's definitely seated correctly, well tightened and still exhibiting play, then a spacer will fix you up.
Perhaps Sunrace's tolerances aren't that tight.

OP
OP
bikeman66

bikeman66

That cassette requires a spacer. That spacer, 0.5mm thick, sits right behind the cassette against the freehub.
Thanks Yellow Saddle,

Problem solved! Had a look through the bike toolbox, thinking I must have a cassette spacer lying around in some of the old used parts in there. Sure enough, and just as I was losing hope of finding one.........there it was, right at the bottom.

Spacer fitted, cassette now firmly in place, indexing spot-on.

Thanks for the tip matey. Had completely forgotten about those little spacers, but having just got back into cycling after a few years off, I guess that's no big surprise.

crazyjoe101

I did exactly the same thing last week when I serviced my rear hub, the lock ring had fallen behind the table my cassette was laid out on and I got a bit confused when there was no resistance to tightening.

Top Bottom