Cassette removal issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I'm trying to remove the cassette from a wheel I've been kindly given so that I can fit it to my singlespeed. I've never removed a cassette before so searched here for advice then headed over to YouTube.

I have a shimano tool that fits nicely, but when I follow the videos and stand with cassette on the opposite side of the wheel to where I'm standing and push down with my big tool (fnar) the cassette just spins. If I apply pressure the other way there's resistance, and if I give it some welly I'm that direction the spanner will move a little and the wheel makes a bad noise a bit like when you're doing a screw up with a drill and it slips.

So should I be brave and push harder or am I doing something wrong?

So to recap:
Remove QR skewer
Slot in shimano removal tool
Lean wheel against legs with cassette facing outwards and with spanner in right hand attach to removal tool and pull upwards (because downwards just spins)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
You need a chain whip tool to stop the cassette from spinning.

You need a chain whip (or an old bit of chain and a vice).

Wrap the chain around the cassette to stop it turning anti-clockwise.

Them insert the tool and turn anti-clockwise to undo.

(You have tightened it up previously and that is the expected noise when doing so).

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
just remember you loosen it off in the direction the cassette freewheels to loosen, other way to tighten as you have discovered......i.e. you don't need a chain whip to tighten the lockring but you do to loosen it

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Hmm, I'm not sure I was expecting this to happen or not!

uploadfromtaptalk1354983364735.jpg

Now I need to figure out how to remove this bit:

uploadfromtaptalk1354983414119.jpg

Sometimes I think I shouldn't be allowed nice things :-(

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Why are you removing the freehub ? Being a Mavic hub/wheel you will have fun as these use cartridge bearings.

Your option is to use spacers (more than you have, but I have a large supply I can send) and one sprocket for singlespeed and don't try and remove the freehub as the wheel will be no use for singlespeed

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Right then, so that bit is the freehub and I have no great desire to remove it if I don't need to.

I have a reasonably new singlespeed and spacer on my current wheel that I'm hoping to use. Here is a photo taken of it up my back passage (where it lives).

uploadfromtaptalk1354984244205.jpg

This project came about because my wheels are borked and out of the blue someone gave me a pair of Mavic Aksiums.

fossyant

When you removed the cassette, you have sprockets and spacers. To go singlespeed, you need to put on a number of spacers first (the black plastic things), then a serviceable sprocket, some more spacers and finally the lock ring. Don't lose the 1mm metal spacer either - you might need it.

fossyant

Right, you can't use that singlespeed freewheel from your old wheels. Totally different hub.

You need to use what I said above. Does the cassette have a sprocket that's in the gear range you need ? 15T-17T ?

You can just use a stack of spacers, 1 shimano freehub sprocket, more spacers, then the lockring. You would need a standard chain, rather than a 1/8th chain though.

If you don't think you have a decent sprocket, let me know and I'll have a look in the parts bin and send you some spacers. I haven't counted the spacers you need either side as you can use this to adjust the chain line.

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Right, you can't use that singlespeed freewheel from your old wheels. Totally different hub.

You need to use what I said above. Does the cassette have a sprocket that's in the gear range you need ? 15T-17T ?

You can just use a stack of spacers, 1 shimano freehub sprocket, more spacers, then the lockring. You would need a standard chain, rather than a 1/8th chain though.

If you don't think you have a decent sprocket, let me know and I'll have a look in the parts bin and send you some spacers. I haven't counted the spacers you need either side as you can use this to adjust the chain line.

Ah, so I wasn't comparing like with like.

I'll have another look tomorrow when I'm not busy trying to stop the toddler climbing the Christmas tree :smile:

fossyant

No probs, give me a shout if you need spares.

The Mavic wheels are great - I run 7 and 8 speed on them and use a variety of spacers before the cassette goes on for my geared bikes. To go singlespeed though, you just use more spacers and 1 sprocket.

I'd just clean it up TBH, and go no further - if the axel feels smooth, then leave it be - Mavic wheels are very good for no maintenance - I've got 3 sets of off the peg wheels here (Aksium, Ksyrium and MTB Crossrides) - and used Mavic hubs for years and years.

Top Bottom