Cassette sizes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Marin Maniac

I currently have a Shimano 9 speed 11-25 cassette and am thinking about buying a 9 speed Ultegra cassette.

The Ultegra cassettes only come in 11-23 or 12-25.

On my 50/34 compact my lowest gear is quite useful for climbling steep hills. My question is if I lost the 25 and went down to a 23, would it make a noticeable difference, and likewise if I dropped the 11 and went up to a 12?

TIA!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Might be better off with the 12-25. Which gear are you using most the 25 or 11 on your current cassette.

There is nothing to stop you re-using your 11 - only the top few sprockets are 'fixed together'.

Speaking to a club mate yesterday who did that (11-25 to a 11-23) he said that it was very noticeable on hills and the cassette now sits unused in his garage. I'm contemplating something similar my self, I think I might be looking for a 11-25 or a 12-25 (previously 12-26, 8sp)

RedBike

On your existing cassette if the lowest gear is 25 then next lowest is probably 23.
Try a few hills out in this gear and see what you think.

I use 11-23 with a compact because my rear mech isn't capable of taking a 25. This gives me very roughtly the same gear as a 39 chainring / 27tooth cassette.

Top Bottom