Cassette Spacer Question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
From another thread, 1st August - explains what the spacer you've got with your Mavics is about.
What I posted was about road wheels, but should equally apply to Mavic MTB wheels and Shimano 9sp MTB cassette

andy_wrx said:
Mavics - Ksyriums, Cosmics, Aksiums - have the Mavic M10 hub, which is a Mavic-fit hub not 'proper' Shimano although it has Shimano splines.

It can take Campag or Shimano, because as well as taking Shimano cassettes, Mavic sell Campag-spaced but Shimano-splined 10sp cassettes which fit on it.

The Campag cassettes are a bit wider than Shimano, so to fit Shimano you also need a Mavic spacer (a 2.something mm big thin washer basically) which will be supplied with the wheels.

A Shimano 10sp cassette is actually narrower than Shimano 8 or 9sp cassettes, so when you get a new 10sp cassette it comes with a thin spacer (1.something mm) and you fit this to Shimano wheels which are 8/9/10sp compatible.
(Shimano also make some 10sp-only hubs, some rarer Dura Ace/Ultegra models, and on these a 8 or 9sp cassette will be too wide and you won't be able to get it on)

But for you, with Mavic M10 hub
- to fit 8 or 9sp Shimano, you'd use the Mavic spacer between the hub and cassette
- to fit 10sp Shimano, you'd use the Mavic spacer and the Shimano 10sp spacer
(and to fit Campag, you'd use simply the Mavic Shimano-splined but Campag-spaced cassette and no spacers)

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

From what you're saying then there are no spacers fitted behind the freehub and I'll need to fit the one that came separately.

I think! ;0)

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

Like Duh! Turns out the washer 'does' fit over the freehub behind the cassette! I couldn't get it to fit because I had it the wrong way round.

Yes, you all have permission to call me an idiot ;0)

Top Bottom