Cassette Spacer Question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Pig

Hi there,

I've just taken delivery of a pair of Mavic wheels. In the box was a tabbed aluminium spacer/washer. Am I right in thinking it's a washer to fit behind the free hub?

Also, if it is a free hub spacer, do you use it when fitting an eight or nine-speed cassette? Or could it be an extra spacer for use with a seven-speed cassette? I would have thought they'd ship wheels ready to take a nine-speed.

Thank you in advance for your help :0)

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
IIRC, Mavic wheels take a shimano cassette, or a special Mavic cassette that's got Campag spacing. You need the spacer for one or other of them. I expect someone more knowledgeable (like Mickle?) will be along soon.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Hubby bought some Mavic wheels, and used them with a 7 speed. He ended up using the spacer supplied next to the cassette (I think), and IIRC 2 other spacers that he got from the LBS.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
On mine (Aksiums) the spacer goes behind the cassette. You need it (iirc) because Mavic make their own cassettes (which also fit these hubs, but without the spacer). My Aksiums are shimano splined freehub, btw.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
You need the spacer on the freehub first, before the Cassette. 8 and 9 speed cassettes are the same width so you will need it with both of them. IIRC 7speed are the same width too, but i haven't fitted one for quite a while so i may be wrong.
and you'll definitely need it for 10speed as they are narrower than 7/8/9 speed.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Built a 14 speed bike up just a month ago. *feels ashamed*
It's something of a bitsa.

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

Steve Austin said:
You need the spacer on the freehub first, before the Cassette.

That sounds right. This spacer does not fit over the freehub, it could only go behind it.

Perhaps there is already one spacer fitted, making the hub ready for 8/9-speed cassettes, and this one is extra in case you want to fit a 7-speed? Does that sound reasonable?

Sorry for asking stupid questions but I don't want to take a brand new hub apart to check if I don't have to.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Washer/spacer next to spokes - first on the freehub, then your cassette. You'll know as you won't be able to tighted up the cassette.

To fit a 7 speed, you shove on 2 x 3mm spacers first, then the 7 speed cassette (that's what my Aksiums are running) - no need for the mavic spacer.

Top Bottom