I cant reinstall my rear cassette!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

eskimo1986

Hello. I'm having issues reinstalling my rear cassette. I removed it to regrease the wheel bearings but now I can't get it back on. I have no issues getting the cassette on the hub, the problem is getting the lock nut into the locking wheel once the cassette is back on. I can only finger tighten the locking wheel and the lock not has no room to engage the lock nut once everything is in place. The spacer is on before the cassette so I know there's no issues with the cassette itself. Hopefully the images can show what I mean.

Any help would be great. Thank you.

20240410_085946.jpg

20240410_085935.jpg

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Firstly I would check that you have the spacers correctly fitted. I had a similar problem some years back. I had one spacer the wrong way round so it was holding one of the cogs too far out for the lockring to engage.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Check the spacer? Some of them have notches cut out to clear the rivets / bolts that hold the cassette together, and if the bolts and notches don't line up, everything is sitting a couple of mm out.
Not that I've done this myself, you understand...

Buck

Guru
The 4th smallest cog has no stamp marks on it that I can see - that might indicate it has been fitted in reverse?

I have a 12 speed cassette that is really fine tolerance and fitting vertically is almost impossible, so if the above isn’t true, place the wheel horizontally and then gently wiggle the cassette and see if it seats better.

EckyH

the problem is getting the lock nut into the locking wheel once the cassette is back on. I can only finger tighten the locking wheel and the lock not has no room to engage the lock nut once everything is in place.
Could you please show us a photo of the freehub without the cassette installed?
I've a suspicion but I need more evidence to be able to form a valid theory...

E.

OP
OP
E

eskimo1986

OP
OP
E

eskimo1986

Could you please show us a photo of the freehub without the cassette installed?
I've a suspicion but I need more evidence to be able to form a valid theory...

E.

20240411_203232.jpg

Spacer is there just to show spacer is there...if that makes sense

OP
OP
E

eskimo1986

The 4th smallest cog has no stamp marks on it that I can see - that might indicate it has been fitted in reverse?

I have a 12 speed cassette that is really fine tolerance and fitting vertically is almost impossible, so if the above isn’t true, place the wheel horizontally and then gently wiggle the cassette and see if it seats better.

I have tried different configurations to no avail. As far as I can tell, they all fit together just fine

Top Bottom