Cassette swapping query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BianchiVirgin

Über Member
My son's bike is a 3 x 7 (or is it 9?) and I want to fit a spare wheelset that I have that runs on 11 sp cassette freehub. What do I need to swap the cassettes over, or am I dreaming? I'll not bother if it's too much hassle. Both Shimano.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
yes just swap the cassette. you'll need a spacer behind the cassette if its 9speed and a couple of spacers if it is indeed a 7 speed cassette. there will already be a spacer on if the son's hub is 11spd compatible, but not if its an older hub.

If its a 7 speed screw on freewheel then no go.

OP
OP
BianchiVirgin

BianchiVirgin

Über Member
yes just swap the cassette. you'll need a spacer behind the cassette if its 9speed and a couple of spacers if it is indeed a 7 speed cassette. there will already be a spacer on if the son's hub is 11spd compatible, but not if its an older hub.

If its a 7 speed screw on freewheel then no go.
Cool thanks. I was hoping it was only going to be a spacer thing. Pretty sure it's a freehub job but havn't checked yet.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I was doing similar at the weekend, putting new wheels on my bike and putting my "old" wheels onto the OH's bike as the were much better than hers.

Chain whip, cassette tool and large adjustable spanner to hold the cassette tool are all you need, once you have the right spacer(s). Its pretty obvious if the spacers are wrong as the cassette wobbles on the hub, even when tight. Don't ask me how I know this!

and stating the obvious, you need to spot where the "odd" spline / gap spacing is on cassette & hub and line them up to slide it on.

Top Bottom