Cassette worn out after only one chain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randy Butternubs

Über Member
I've just changed the chain on my 7-speed bike at about 0.5% stretch. Chain then started skipping and after faffing with the derailler I'm pretty sure the cassette is too worn to work with a new chain. It only skips on my 3 favorite sprockets and these look significantly worn compared to the others. The new chain has no stiff links.

It sounds like you should be able to make a cassette last for a few chains if you change them early so I'm trying to work out what's gone wrong.

- Annoyingly my speedo broke ages ago so I have no idea how many miles I've done but I've been checking the chain stretch with a ruler religiously. I find it very hard to measure though since you are looking for a couple of mm difference with no easy way to keep the ruler aligned so perhaps the chain was actually well past its limit. Is there any trick to it? Or perhaps vernier calipers would work better? I've heard chain stretch checking tools aren't very good but perhaps this is nonsense.

- The cassette had most riding done on it in the winter. Will the sprocket wear quickly even if the chain is replaced early if it is ridden in wet conditions? I maintained the chain with the Mickle method as I understood it: every 40 to 60 miles I'd wipe the chain down with a clean cloth, put a drop of lube onto each link, then wipe off he excess. I never cleaned it other than that. Is that a pants way to look after a chain?

- I was using fairly cheap parts: a SRAM cassette and KMC chain for something like £12 and £6 respectively. Perhaps it's only the pricier cassettes that last a long time?

Cheers for your help.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
They don't normally wear that quick, but if they look like they have and the chain skips then they are.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Yes, better quality cassettes do tend to last longer and winter conditions are pretty harsh on the drivetrain (particularly on salted roads).

I've had the same issue with Shimano 7 speed cassettes. One that had been used through the winter months was dead at a surprisingly low mileage even though the chain was replaced in good time, while the current one (same type) which has done more in the way of dry weather miles is fine with a new chain even though in theory I'd let the chain wear go too far.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Measuring with a 12 inch ruler is a little tricky. If you have a quick link then a better option is to remove the chain, hang one end on a nail so the chain is vertical, and measure with a 3 foot steel rule. Measuring three times as many links should produce a more accurate measurement. Even better if you have a helper to steady the zero end on the centre of a pin.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
I couldn't be bothered.
Wear them both out and change as necessary, they are consumable parts and are cheap enough to replace after however many thousand miles

Tom B

Guru
The fist chain and cassetee on my bike wore out, im now at the more usualy 2/3 chains per cassette.

The first Chain was a shimano HG and the subsequent chains have been KMC. The KMC chains don't seem to last quiteas long but i am happy with them being a sacrificial part at a fiver each. Cassettes always Shimano at about 12 quid.

Maintenance wise, i go for the wipe with a whitespirity/gt85y rag, swill down and a squirt of £2 oil whilst whizing the chain backwards... As posted they area fiver, just keep a bunch at home and change as needed. I save £15+ on fuel commuting i can stretch (pun intend) to a chain every couple of months. Besides life it too short to spend cleaning chains to the nth degree.

buggi

Bird Saviour
My friend runs two chains, swaps them over every week. Says it saves his cassette from a lot of wear and tear

Tom B

Guru
My friend runs two chains, swaps them over every week. Says it saves his cassette from a lot of wear and tear

Its not for me too much faffing. Ive done 2.5k this year and probably spent less than half an hour buggering about with chains.

Ive heard of this before, but why not go for 3-4-5 chains?

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
why not go for 3-4-5 chains?
A small proportion of cyclists do.

The fist chain and cassetee on my bike wore out, im now at the more usualy 2/3 chains per cassette.

The first Chain was a shimano HG and the subsequent chains have been KMC. The KMC chains don't seem to last quiteas long but i am happy with them being a sacrificial part at a fiver each. Cassettes always Shimano at about 12 quid.

Maintenance wise, i go for the wipe with a whitespirity/gt85y rag, swill down and a squirt of £2 oil whilst whizing the chain backwards... As posted they area fiver, just keep a bunch at home and change as needed. I save £15+ on fuel commuting i can stretch (pun intend) to a chain every couple of months. Besides life it too short to spend cleaning chains to the nth degree.

How many chains do you go through before changing the chain rings? Do you change them at the same time as changing the cassette?

Tom B

Guru
How many chains do you go through before changing the chain rings? Do you change them at the same time as changing the cassette?

Dunno, In my hybrid commuter id say i'm on chain 6 (third cassette, 1st worn after one chain, one is still going but on a spare wheel after an issue wuith the wheel and the cassette i'm currently running is just on chain 3 ) Ive not changed chain-rings due to wear. I changed a big ring on one of my bikes after it was bent in a collision with a stupidly designed anti-motorbike barrier on a cycle path.

On the hybrid commuter I run a 48/36/26. Granny doesnt get out much so that looks perfect, 48 probably has the most wear, but comparing it to my MTB it looks in good shape and the MTB still runs fine.
I cant detect any extra play on the 48 compared to Granny though there is a bit on the MTB but that is 15 years old.

I think i can get a new ring for about £14 and a new groupset for about £25 so again life is too short.

I do make a point of wiping the grot of the chainrings weekly or so. Pedals are my issue.

boydj

Legendary Member
It's worth spending a few quid on a chain checker tool to get an accurate measure. Winter riding is hard on chains and cassettes.

Davidc

Guru
Chainrings are unpredictable. The set I'm using now is on its 5th chain and 3rd cassette having done about 6000 miles. The middle ring shows it's been well used but is nowhere near the recycling bin yet. In the past I've had the most heavily used ones need replacing at 2000 miles, other times they've done over 10000. I have no explanation for this as I treat them roughly the same.

The cassettes fitted as original on my last couple of bikes have lasted one chain and about 1000 miles. The replacement ones last 2 chains and over 2500 miles. I can't think of any plausible explanation!

ayceejay

Guru
fisting on the settee can cause havoc on wear and tear

Top Bottom