Cassettes and shifters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Xiorell

Über Member
right, I think it's time to throw some upgrades at my cycle this spring.

It's a Raleigh Airlite 100 (Shimano 2300 kit), I wanna change the shifters. Problem is, it's an 8 speed cassette and most new shifters are for 9 or 10.

I'm under the impression that I can change the existing 8cassette to a 10cassette without changing the wheel hub? Then I can slap some new 105 shifters or something on there with a 10 speed chain and front mech?

Is that all accurate?

PpPete

Legendary Member
Yes you can put a 10 speed cassette on in place of the 8 speed....but unless there is anything wrong with the existing drivetrain/shifters I'd put your money into better wheels instead. Upgrading from 2300 to 105 on what is really an entry level frame is not really cost effective.

OP
OP
X

Xiorell

Über Member
Thing is I actually REALLY like the frame I don't see myself changing the whole thing for a long time to come. I tried out several more "elite" bikes before buying this one and it just felt good for me :smile:
It's more the shifters I want changed coz mine have them annoying thumb switch things and shifting in the drops is not as good as it could be but it seems that 95% of shifters now are for 9 or 10 speed so, hence looking at having to alter the drive train to get the better shifters if that makes sense

OP
OP
X

Xiorell

Über Member
A better description would be - I'm totally fine with all the components "except" the shifters and wouldn't be looking at changing anything other than them but it looks like I might have to. Lol
Unless I find some tiagra or better shifters that do 2x8 in which case job done

Mushroomgodmat

Über Member
im in almost the same boat as you... I have a Genesis Aether 10 and its groupset is 2300 too.

Now Genesis bikes have 2 models above mine, and the top end Aether uses a 105 groupset, but the frame is exactly the same as there low end (i.e. my bike) model.

Now my thinking is....I could buy a whole new bike (which would be about £700 for a 105 kitted bike, but would also offer better value for money, or I can upgrade/replace my groupset to 105 which would cost around £420, but to me £400 is better than £700, so I think thats what Ill do.

My thinking is...if I upgrade the groupset, In a years time I can upgrade my frame. And gradually overtime the bike would evolve.

I also really like my frame, and dont want to have replace a whole bike I really love.

BTW....I to would consider upgrading your wheels first - this is something I did and it seems to make a difference, where as a groupset wont make you any faster, just make it all a bit nicer :smile:

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
In your quest for better sti's, you might want to know that Campag 10 speed sti's are compatible with Shimano 8 speed rear mech and cassette. Second table here. There could be complication with front shifting, but you will be fine if you have a double chainset.

OP
OP
X

Xiorell

Über Member
Thanks for that record handy to know

It is such a pain in the ass I really ain't bothered about 105/ultegra/DA groupsets it's JUST the shifters lol everything else I've got does what it's supposed to and feels fine doing it

I know what people are saying about the wheels though I was gonna do them last year just didn't get round to it

Top Bottom