Castaway

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twilkes

Guru
My wrist cast has been removed now, after a small fracture on the back of the hand a month ago. I'm getting strength back fairly quickly, but mobility is poor - I can only bend the wrist backwards and forwards about 45 degrees, rather than 90 degrees on my good wrist. I presume this is a combination of the original injury (probably spraining) and also the wrist not having been bent in this way for a month. Also plenty of clicks when rotating the wrist around, like cartlidge or joint fluid.

Is this all to be expected, and would exercises get it back to normal? It's just that I'm a Rod Hull tribute act, and at the moment I can't get Emu to look down.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
i fractured my wrist about 18 months ago, still cant fully flex it but then i used to stretch it out before!

long and short is the muscles will have shortened due to being in the cast and immobilized, stretching it out should work wonders for it!

FreeFlow Bikes

It will just be the scar tissue. Keep it moving and it will break down. I had a metal pin put in my Schaphoid a few years back and was in a cast for 8 weeks and couldn't even move ny wrist once the cast came off. I seriously thought I wouldn't get the movement back but I kept it moving and soon the scar tissue broke down and the movement came back.

totally normal. went through this after each of my 11 ops on my left wrist.
keep up with the exercise I hope you have been given and it will come back but don't force it too much too soon though.
If you have a heat pad/wheat bag, if find it helps - usually a good excuse of an hour in front of the TV at night. warm the wrist gently on the heat pad beforehand and do the exercises whilst watching an episode of something - makes them far less boring and builds a routine.

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
Thanks for the advice, I thought it was normal but just wanted to make sure.

I asked for a velcro splint, ostensibly for when sleeping but actually so I could carry on riding to work - there's no pain when riding and gripping the handlebar must be good for strength.

Like the idea of heat pads, especially with Scotland's current weather. 8-)

..I asked for a velcro splint, ostensibly for when sleeping but actually so I could carry on riding to work - there's no pain when riding and gripping the handlebar must be good for strength.

I rode for around 13 years with my left arm in a support. sometimes an orthopaedic leather one, sometimes a plaster caste and sometimes the vecro "arthritis" supports. the most comfortable one I found was actually a ski-ing support similar to this one. http://www.snowandrock.com/bioskin .../ski-snowboard-outdoor-sports/fcp-product/602 (also good for keeping it warm!) Luckily 20 years after the original injury I am now free of the support in the last 3 years!

Listen to your body and you will be fine. If it hurts - stop, otherwise just enjoy yourself and get back out on the bike and don't worry. Movement comes back with time.

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
It's better after only a few days, so that's good news. I had a sprained ankle a while ago that I was still checking with a physio after six months, but then I did go to a ceilidh three days after the injury so that may not have helped. It was my first ceilidh though, and I still don't regret it. :smile:

billy1561

BB wrecker
It's just that I'm a Rod Hull tribute act, and at the moment I can't get Emu to look down.
I can't make my mind up if this is hilarious or serious! Apologies in advance if you're serious but i had to chuckle at this.

Top Bottom