Castleton, Edale area?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation

SamNichols

Keep well away from Mam Tor, especially if it's not wet. The road is packed full of tourists (i don't even know why, as it's not a great hill, in all honesty) at the best of times, and those tourists aren't particularly friendly drivers.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Cathryn said:
Weather dependent (being that kind of fairweather cyclist) I was considering cycling in that area on Sunday too, so see you there if it's sunny. Is Winnats Pass that horrid? I drove down it last summer and thought it would be 'a challenge' but now I'm scared :biggrin:

Smeggers, if you see a girl on a blue thorn looking knackered, but accompanied by a ridiculously tall bloke on a black carrera looking much much worse, do shout and say hello.

I've done Winnats twice and I decided that it was on the wrong side of my pain threshold to ever do it again! Let us know how you get on Catherine if you have a go.

OP
OP
Smeggers

Smeggers

Cathryn: I'm thinking next Friday so probably wont see you!

Tim / Foss / Sam et al - It looks like Im doing Mam Tor if Im approaching Winnats from the West via Edale! Ive got a 39 / 26 on a double, not particulary cycle fit (gym monkey at mo) and at least a stone overweight! Looks like I'll be joining the ramblers.

Thanks for all great tips so far :biggrin:

SamNichols

Smeggers said:
Cathryn: I'm thinking next Friday so probably wont see you!

Tim / Foss / Sam et al - It looks like Im doing Mam Tor if Im approaching Winnats from the West via Edale! Ive got a 39 / 26 on a double, not particulary cycle fit (gym monkey at mo) and at least a stone overweight! Looks like I'll be joining the ramblers.

Thanks for all great tips so far :biggrin:

On a Friday in December you'll be fine on Mam Tor, it won't be overtly busy. Weekends are pretty hectic on it though: a lot of people from Sheffield and Manchester go up to the peaks at the weekend and clog up the roads: their main focus a lot of the time is Mam Tor, because of the easy walk, the paragliding and the mountain bike runs.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Forecast is looking good for the weekend...I'm tempted!!! If it all gets too much, I'll just turn round and fly down to the local pub.

(Please note the current bravery is because I'm ensconced in a nice warm flat rather than sobbing up a hill. I won't be this brave at the weekend.)

Top Bottom