England : Bristol Casual Bristol club/group

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EasyCrank

Über Member
Hey all,

I was just wondering if anyone knew of a road riding club or group in Bristol, UK?
I have a pretty busy life so it couldn't be anything that I'd have to commit too much to, but I'd love to find some like minded people that like to hit the road on occasion.

Let me know if you feel the same?

Thanks

EC

SWSteve

Guru
Hi,

I'm also from Bristol....and coincidentally am also looking for a club/group of people to ride with. I've looked at the clubs in Bristol...but I can't decide who to contact.

Steve

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
There is a Bristol 'Social Cycling' group on Meetup.com also there is North Bristol Cycling Club http://www.nb-cc.co.uk/ which is a road cycling club (although not a racing club), there is usually a ride saturday and sunday, and sometimes on weekdays too.

I tried the NBCC once. Had to answer questions on an email. I was going to go on a 'new members ride' but didn't go because the weather was really bad (tipping it down all day). Didn't sign up immediately for another ride, then was told my membership was cancelled. Thought it was a bit odd, and haven't bothered trying again.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I tried the NBCC once. Had to answer questions on an email. I was going to go on a 'new members ride' but didn't go because the weather was really bad (tipping it down all day). Didn't sign up immediately for another ride, then was told my membership was cancelled. Thought it was a bit odd, and haven't bothered trying again.

I wouldn't take it personally but the process is there to make sure people who join are people who want to ride and aren't there for nefarious reasons.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Wanting to only ride occasionally, perhaps?

Or wanting to ride to enjoy myself? Which doesn't include setting off in the p*ssing rain when it is forecast to continue all day.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Fair enough. But I did want to ride occasionally. Perhaps they require a bit more enthusiasm than I initially showed...

(But the mind boggles as to what nefarious reasons there could be for joining a cycling club!)

Archeress

Veteran
Try http://www.stokescyclingclub.org.uk/home.aspx. they set out from Bradley Stoke leisure centre on Sunday mornings. They are very friendly. I've ridden with them twice now.

Hugs
Archeress x

OP
OP
EasyCrank

EasyCrank

Über Member
Thanks for your suggestions everyone. Stokes Cycling sounds just like the kind of thing I'm after! I'll certainly look into that!

James Blackwell

Thanks for your suggestions everyone. Stokes Cycling sounds just like the kind of thing I'm after! I'll certainly look into that!
Anyone got any ideas of a club/social group of cyclists out Clevedon way? Again I cant commit regular, 3 kids, work, other sports interests, but I cycle most days for my work commute, but would like to try cycling further and for "fun" rather than commuting.

Cheers

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Try http://www.stokescyclingclub.org.uk/home.aspx. they set out from Bradley Stoke leisure centre on Sunday mornings. They are very friendly. I've ridden with them twice now.

Hugs
Archeress x
I might give them a try - trouble is, they seem to want you to do a novice ride first (I can understand why!), and the only one of those on their current calendar is when I'm away for the weekend! I'll have to keep an eye out...

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I went out with bristol ctc and a friendlier bunch you couldn't hope to meet. I went on their "slow" ride, which was it must be admitted very slow indeed - but here's the thing - there were folk on that ride who I've no doubt could have done 4 times the distance in half the time - but didn't - and focussed on keeping the right pace for some not very fit people who were not dropped nor made to struggle or feel left out.

The group do various rides with a range of paces, so presumably the quick rides are pretty quick - albeit presumably not a race pace

Although for various reasons i've not been back, that's no reflection on the group - who as i say were great.

U

User482

There is a Bristol 'Social Cycling' group on Meetup.com also there is North Bristol Cycling Club http://www.nb-cc.co.uk/ which is a road cycling club (although not a racing club), there is usually a ride saturday and sunday, and sometimes on weekdays too.

I ride with NBCC - they're a great bunch. Emphasis is very much on the cafe stop rather than racing!

Top Bottom