I think im done with my club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
My club , its brilliant !! great people but for 5 years i have run the sunday club ride that has always been low numbers and the last month not a single person has offered to ride with me .
Loads of riders on saturday which has always been problematic for me due to work / family
There are 2 other clubs local ish but one seems to be a social club and meets a bit earlier than i would like as it would mean leaving the house at 7.30 am , the other is my old club but i was always between groups of the medium pace and the ass up / heads down keep up or get dropped lot .

richardfm

Veteran
I ride on my own. To paraphrase Groucho Marx, I wouldn't want to join a club that would have me as a member

Big John

Guru
Once I stopped racing I discovered I didn't need a club any more. The group I rode with packed in once COVID came along and I just got used to riding on my own. I didn't miss going to places I didn't fancy going anyway. I didn't miss the non-stop four hour painfests. Now I stop for a tea break and a cake and if there's a view to be had then I'll stop and enjoy it. It must be an age thing but I just enjoy riding a bike, where I like and at whatever pace I like. Four years now and I don't have any cravings to join another group ride.

Sharky

Guru
This last month, has been December/January, with Xmas shopping and festivities, wet and stormy weather, so don't get too upset about low/non attendance. Would be best if you told the club, that for these reasons, you are going to pause Sunday runs until better weather. Relaunch the Sunday runs from Easter with renewed energy.

In the meantime, there is nothing stopping you from joining other clubs as second claim and have a taste of their Sunday runs. It will become obvious which club offers the most for yourself.

Just to add, are you the only one from your club who is on CycleChat? Moaning about others on a forum, if your identity is revealed, may not be productive.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
This last month, has been December/January, with Xmas shopping and festivities, wet and stormy weather, so don't get too upset about low/non attendance. Would be best if you told the club, that for these reasons, you are going to pause Sunday runs until better weather. Relaunch the Sunday runs from Easter with renewed energy.

In the meantime, there is nothing stopping you from joining other clubs as second claim and have a taste of their Sunday runs. It will become obvious which club offers the most for yourself.

Just to add, are you the only one from your club who is on CycleChat? Moaning about others on a forum, if your identity is revealed, may not be productive.

Not afaik and many have moved over to Saturday

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Ride solo it's more fun as nobody can look at you strangely when you want to stop and have a chat with a sheep in the field

Is it not uncomfortable cycling in wellies.:whistle:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I have been riding solo.
Only issue is how far from home as there's no one who would come and rescue me in an emergency

I've got ETA Cycle Rescue cover - basically bike breakdown cover. It'll only get you to a railway station or similar but is worthwhile as a 'just in case' given I do multi-day events.

My suggestion is to pause the Sunday rides, with a comment about 'needing to reflect on the option', then ride other things audax/guest at other clubs/events as a period of reflection.

One comment: the club I'm second claim for has 150+ members. The 'regular' shorter Saturday rides are much busier than the longer Sunday rides over the winter, usually 20-40 vs 5-10. It switches in the summer.

I know nothing about cycling clubs but....

for 5 years i have run the sunday club ride that has always been low numbers and the last month not a single person has offered to ride with me .

and many have moved over to Saturday

Have you asked people why?
Until you know the "why" the chances of solving the problem are slim.
Assuming the "why" may not be helpful. Better to ask and respond accordingly.

I also think it's interesting the language used.
the last month not a single person has offered to ride with me
strikes me as very personal when it simply may be down to the time of the year as @Sharky has pointed out.

Personally, I would consider Sunday as a more family oriented day. If doing long, hard routes on Sunday I may not be very comfortable at work on Monday. Perhaps a figure 8 type route where people can finish at the half way point might be helpful?

If you love your club does it not make a bit of sense to try to solve the problem before taking the nuclear option?

geocycle

Legendary Member
I ride on my own as an antidote to the very busy people centred job I have. I like the freedom to do what I want without negotiation. I cycle much slower as a result but so what. Incidentally I have noticed lots of clubs riding on Saturday, I often encounter big groups from Kendal when out that way.

Top Bottom