I think im done with my club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

a.twiddler

Veteran
I have been riding solo.
Only issue is how far from home as there's no one who would come and rescue me in an emergency
I've been a solitary rider for so long that the concept of having to be rescued is one I hardly consider nowadays. Somehow, I've always made it back. Maybe someone up there likes me, and smiles indulgently at my various past sins. More likely it's the hundredweight of tools and bits (perhaps I exaggerate a little) I drag with me everywhere I go. After hubris always comes the downfall, and maybe sometime soon the obscure tool that I've never needed before will be at home, when it's the only thing that will do the job. Aah, the price one pays for being a not-so-rugged individualist.

presta

Guru
I prefer Breakaway to Club, too.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I know nothing about cycling clubs but....

Have you asked people why?
Until you know the "why" the chances of solving the problem are slim.
Assuming the "why" may not be helpful. Better to ask and respond accordingly.

I also think it's interesting the language used.

strikes me as very personal when it simply may be down to the time of the year as @Sharky has pointed out.

Personally, I would consider Sunday as a more family oriented day. If doing long, hard routes on Sunday I may not be very comfortable at work on Monday. Perhaps a figure 8 type route where people can finish at the half way point might be helpful?

If you love your club does it not make a bit of sense to try to solve the problem before taking the nuclear option?

i have asked the ride leaders if im doing anything wrong , i have been told no and the club has lots of slow riders but not many want a 16+ avg ride
They are planning a campaign to get more interested .

I have been riding solo.
Only issue is how far from home as there's no one who would come and rescue me in an emergency

That bothered me when I was in chemo and had no feeling/strength in my hands less so now; as I'd rather bodge something than bother someone. And if the worst happened (which thankfully hasn't and hopefully wont whilst not ideal there's always public transport.

Last edited:
The last club I was a member of, like most, had different groups depending upon pace. Everyone was very sensible and joined rides with the appropriate group. That was until one rider joined and consistently rode with a much faster group than their abilities allowed for. The ride reader had a soft spot for them and, instead of suggesting they considered riding with another group, actually encouraged them to continue riding with the faster one. It ruined the ride for everyone and I left. Never joined another since.

Jameshow

Veteran
The last club I was a member of, like most, had different groups depending upon pace. Everyone was very sensible and joined rides with the appropriate group. That was until one rider joined and consistently rode with a much faster group than their abilities allowed for. The ride reader had a soft spot for them and, instead of suggesting they considered riding with another group, actually encouraged them to continue riding with the faster one. It ruined the ride for everyone and I left. Never joined another since.

Sorry mate ... Won't do it again!🤣

a.twiddler

Veteran
Were I a member of a club, I doubt that there would be a group that rides at my slow pace nowadays. On the one hand, no one likes to be reminded of their shortcomings. On the other, I don't yearn for the company of others when I'm out, being pretty self sufficient.

Jameshow

Veteran
Were I a member of a club, I doubt that there would be a group that rides at my slow pace nowadays. On the one hand, no one likes to be reminded of their shortcomings. On the other, I don't yearn for the company of others when I'm out, being pretty self sufficient.

Try a British cycling go ride... Likely they are pretty slow....

DogmaStu

I enjoy riding on my own, it's great to spend time outdoors in your own thoughts, own pace etc. My longest rides have been alone.

In Portugal, I am a member of a Club and a Race Team. Our Club rides are great, a group of friends who train together. I also ride with my Coach when there, mostly just the two of us. Then there are other, larger Groups I join and it's really nice.

Here in the UK I joined a Club locally last year and was utterly turned off by the whole 'rules and regulations' aspect; far too regimented for me! Briefings! Health & Safety! I mean, obviously use signals and watch out for each other but the riding side-by-side, not over-lapping wheels, specific signals. Army-like formation precision...spare me! :laugh: So I only went to one ride and never again.

I've since moved and joined another local Club...unlikely to ever meet them, only joined to pinch their routes while I learn the best local roads.

Can't wait to get back to living in Portugal permanently again in the next year or two - much more informal and fun.

Jameshow

Veteran
I enjoy riding on my own, it's great to spend time outdoors in your own thoughts, own pace etc. My longest rides have been alone.

In Portugal, I am a member of a Club and a Race Team. Our Club rides are great, a group of friends who train together. I also ride with my Coach when there, mostly just the two of us. Then there are other, larger Groups I join and it's really nice.

Here in the UK I joined a Club locally last year and was utterly turned off by the whole 'rules and regulations' aspect; far too regimented for me! Briefings! Health & Safety! I mean, obviously use signals and watch out for each other but the riding side-by-side, not over-lapping wheels, specific signals. Army-like formation precision...spare me! :laugh: So I only went to one ride and never again.

I've since moved and joined another local Club...unlikely to ever meet them, only joined to pinch their routes while I learn the best local roads.

Can't wait to get back to living in Portugal permanently again in the next year or two - much more informal and fun.

I fancy Benicassium in Spain where many of the pros train!

DogmaStu

I fancy Benicassium in Spain where many of the pros train!

Yes, and Calpe and a few others. The Pro's race in the Algarve each February, the Volta ao Algarve, it's really nice because you can ride with them in the lead up and get to chat with them - and we're talking the elite, Pogacar, Remco, Geraint etc. You can go into the paddock where the buses are pre-race and talk to them too. It's great.

Here's one of me with the Quickstep squad - dunno why he took my photo but we shared some banter; I was with them for 20 minutes or so that day.

0B69433F-BBD2-425B-A97F-E4EF8A69A920.JPEG

D

Deleted member 121159

I don't know if this is just me, but I really didn't appreciate not being able to go to the toilet whenever I need to! I like audax now as it's the best of both worlds in terms of the social side and just riding at my own pace and peeing when I need to!

Top Bottom