I think im done with my club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

velohomme

Moved into a new area. Thought I would try group riding again to make social contacts. Contacted a local club and went along on a Sunday ride as a guest with the "slow" group. We set off and all I could hear was the sound of chains going down the cassettes. Knew I was in trouble. Within 100 metres I was on the 52/11. Apologised for thinking I had joined the slow group which apparently I had. Split from the group will carry on being a loner.

DogmaStu

I am not going to volunteer to lead rides anymore , this weekend is out anyway but we will see if im missed

Inexperienced cyclists, or riders who just prefer the security of a very knowledgeable cyclist in their Group, benefit greatly from the valuable contributions of ride leaders.

It’s just not the scene I’m looking for personally. I have led rides myself as a Tour Guide so have some experience.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Where I live the club always goes on the same rides, that why I wont ride with them because I like to go on different rides plus I like my own way all the time and obviously you have to compromise in a club.
I do know some of them though and see them about and talk to them etc.
If you're not happy for whatever reason and its not for you then just do your own rides, I see loads out on their own. I wouldn't want to wear the kit either, that's not for me .

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Yours sounds like the kind of Club I prefer.

I joined a Club in North Leeds last year and it is as I described. So are the ones nearby when I checked. I joined another Club near York recently and see the same applies. I'm talking about British Cycling affiliated Clubs where they would like you to wear their kit etc, not a group of mates arranging a bike ride by Whatsapp.

My UK Club experience is therefore not a sample of one but several sadly. I get advance route maps, times etc - there are Group Leaders, Group Organisers, AGM's etc. Rides are split into ability levels from 12mph ave to 20mph. They are quite regimented in organisation and ride etiquette.

Yes, outside of the official Club rides, groups do get together for informal rides if they want to - I went on a few myself last year where it is more to my preference.

Another group with a current Pro often attending leaves every Sunday from a BP garage in Portimao and it's never advertised, it's just an established ride where there will always be a few to a lot turning up.

If you are ever in the Algarve, look up the Velochique Club; mostly UK expats, meet Wednesday and Saturday's for a ride out from Alvor BP. Often a few tourists on each ride.
The Algarve rides I'm aware of, but haven't been out there.

The North Leeds club (I can guess which) is quite rigid from knowledge, the one near York the same.

Most clubs would like you to wear their kit, but it's not compulsory. But yes, there are regular advertised rides and the larger ones have lots of informal rides as well.

Moved into a new area. Thought I would try group riding again to make social contacts. Contacted a local club and went along on a Sunday ride as a guest with the "slow" group. We set off and all I could hear was the sound of chains going down the cassettes. Knew I was in trouble. Within 100 metres I was on the 52/11. Apologised for thinking I had joined the slow group which apparently I had. Split from the group will carry on being a loner.
Mine had it's 'monthly ride' this morning - there were speeds from 12mph average through to about 18mph. That doesn't seem a typical approach unless it's a racing club.

This has been interesting reading this thread. I was thinking of joining a club but it seems as though I wouldn't get on with them . I don't think I would get on with too many rules. I think I have become an old codger! I want to meet more people who are of the sort who would say "Ooh! That's nice where did you get that ?" Sort of thing. I suppose I average 12 -13 mph so I might not fit in with many groups by the sound of it . I've also heard that my local club don't stop at traffic lights which puts me off.
I am a member of a Mens Shed but I am becoming a bit of a square peg in a round hole ! They have just done up a shed to use but it is for woodworking! I'm more metal work or just tinkering. We used to do more activities but that has dropped off so I was thinking of joining a cycle club.
I also ride in jeans so the idea of dressing up like Spiderman for each ride would put me off. I think I will just do as I am doing , riding on my own or with my friends now and then .

I was thinking that the other thing about riding on your own is that you can set your own pace. If you feel a bit off you can rest or if you see something interesting you can stop and not worry about having to catch up with the group. It's something that I sometimes find when riding with my friends. Perhaps I am just a loner !

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Amazing. People are different and like different things. Who'd have thought it?

It's worth remembering that clubs are made up of members and they are the way they are because that's how the members want it. They aren't some shadowy representatives of "the man". They're just groups of people doing something that they want to do. Some clubs are all about sport cycling, some are more laid back. Some even ride at night, for goodness sake - now who in earth would want to join a club like that ;)

There are some external factors like insurance that can complicate matters and introduce a degree of rules n regulations, as the benevolent dictator of The Fridays found out in the early days. And if you're into competing then there's another layer of stuff that gets imposed.

Gwylan

Veteran
I have been riding solo.
Only issue is how far from home as there's no one who would come and rescue me in an emergency

Deep down you know that you can only rely on yourself.
Unless I'm with you of course.

Gwylan

Veteran
I'm with Groucho on this business of clubs.

Have a chum I cycle with about once a week, spontaneous and informal.
It's really cover for summer beer drinking.
But he is getting fitter and I am getting older.
The average speed is going up and I am very near my comfort and ability level.
But I shall continue to seize the moment and make the most of it.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'm talking about British Cycling affiliated Clubs where they would like you to wear their kit etc, not a group of mates arranging a bike ride by Whatsapp.

My UK Club experience is therefore not a sample of one but several sadly.
Several, but only from one grouping? Brutish Cycling have their handbook which encourages their clubs to behave in certain ways, plus the membership structure makes it more likely that people move between clubs inside that grouping instead of outside, homogenising them to a degree, meaning some of the problems are shared by most of their clubs (such as a minimum speed high enough to be ableist). Then there's the unethical sponsor at present also discouraging members from other groupings from switching to them.

CUK have their handbook too. I expect some other groups have theirs. Some follow none but the barest requirements (and a few don't even do that). There's plenty out there.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
messaged the club secretary telling him i wont be volunteering anymore due to lack of interest and i would be riding solo , didnt seem that bothered as there are 3 groups out tomorrow .I cant do saturdays due to mrs ck working and shift pattern .

Gwylan

Veteran
I know it's a bit late, what about Zoom cycle outings?
Arrange a meeting time, put Zoom on and follow other people's journeys.

Yes it's a bit technical. Probably dangerous if one gets too distracted by others adventures
I'm off at 0800 in the morning anyway. Subject to snow, but rain more likely.

Top Bottom