Marden Cycling Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
The following is a message from my Aunt (actually, third cousin once removed, but lets stop being picky):

"I have had in my possession for a long time, 3 silver Marden Cycling Club Medals which belonged to my grandfather, 1873-1934. He was the 3rd child of James & Elizabeth and brother of your great grandmother Amy 1876-1956, 5th child of James & Elizabeth. They are all dated 1892. My father was born in 1897. I also have a silver medal dated 1893 which belonged to Sydney who was James Edward’s brother-in-law.

James and Sydney belonged to this cycling club (Marden is in Kent). At the date on James’ medals all 1892 (10 miles/3rd, another for attendance - Brighton and back) and Sydney’s 1893 (5miles 1st), James was living in the Peckham/Camberwell area of S.E.London and Sydney was probably in the Bermondsey area nearby. Bear in mind that their bikes probably didn’t have any gears at that time!!"

I am guessing that Marden Cycling Club would have disbanded in roughly 1914 due to the war, as all fit and able young men (probably exclusively male here) would have found themselves heading off to France, a good number of which would have not returned, returned unfit or unable to cycle, or suffered from the ravages of Spanish 'flu. Most old-school cycling clubs still around today appear to have started either between the wars, or immediately following WWII.

Waiting to see these medals, and tell my son that he is not the first competitive cyclist in the family, although he is not a direct descendant of James Edward, but instead of James's parents.

I guess 1892 would have been the early years of cycle clubs, and that the bicycles certainly wouldn't have had gears, and probably not pneumatic tyres either.

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
There could be a link between Marden and the San Fairy Ann cycling club. The latter was formed in 1922 by the returning soldiers. They were both mid Kent catchment areas. The SFA may have more info if you contact them.

OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Medals are here:

IMG_20231228_165736_189.jpg

From left to right:
Brighton and back
5 miles, 1st
10 miles, 3rd
Attendance

All in hallmarked silver.

classic33

Leg End Member
Something similar to a photo frame. Mounted on/against the club colours
Any inscription on the backs copied and put onto paper below each one.

Top Bottom