I think im done with my club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
Cheers! Have just signed up. I have never been a member of a club and often cycle by myself. I struggle with thumb strength and getting tyres back on after mending punctures so this is peace of mind for £24!

I have ETA as well. Never had to call on it yet and around our neck of the woods would expect a lift home would be shorter in a lot of instances than being taken to a train station etc.

i have asked the ride leaders if im doing anything wrong , i have been told no and the club has lots of slow riders but not many want a 16+ avg ride
They are planning a campaign to get more interested .
Maybe "Am I doing anything wrong?" is not as useful as "What can I/we do?" ? Speed seems to be one area that could be adapted.

Why are they planning a campaign. What's your involvement? It's "your" ride, isn't it?

those who rode with me including stronger riders are now with sat group though
Can you ask them why?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've been a solitary rider for so long that the concept of having to be rescued is one I hardly consider nowadays. Somehow, I've always made it back. Maybe someone up there likes me, and smiles indulgently at my various past sins. More likely it's the hundredweight of tools and bits (perhaps I exaggerate a little) I drag with me everywhere I go. After hubris always comes the downfall, and maybe sometime soon the obscure tool that I've never needed before will be at home, when it's the only thing that will do the job. Aah, the price one pays for being a not-so-rugged individualist.

I don't have a rescue option. My long rides are generally planned with railway bailouts in mind, and that's why I prefer to ride on Saturdays (better train service). I pretty much always know where and how far the nearest station is.

Like you I carry excessive amounts of spares and tools. I've only ever twice ended up with an un-ridable bike. Both times I was within less than an hour's walk from a station. I was incredibly lucky on one of the occasions that a nice man in a big vehicle (a van or a range rover) pulled over and asked if I wanted a lift, and unbelievably happened to be going to near my home. The other time I had to half-push and half-carry my bike for about an hour to the station. That was no fun, especially as I was a bit damaged, as well as the bike. I may have a look at ETA, who @DCLane mentioned.

But that's completely off topic. I guess it's just unfortunate that @cyberknight is alone in the club wanting to do rides of that length, of that pace, on that day. Not the other club members' fault really.

Ages ago I was a member of a club. They did nice rides, on a Saturday, at my pace. A nide friendly lot. But the slow paced rides were too short for what I wanted to do, and the people who did longer rides were all too fast for me. I took to joining the slow rides and when they turned for home I'd carry on and continue my own ride. I left the club in the end. Not the club's fault, just that it wasn't for me.

I suppose I could have volunteered to organise some long slow rides. But the idea of me organising anything is a non-starter. I'd be hopeless.

vickster

Legendary Member
I have been riding solo.
Only issue is how far from home as there's no one who would come and rescue me in an emergency

Can you join ETA rescue as above? I’ve had for a few years, pay £18 I think. Have used twice thanks to punctures a bit too far from home/poor timing. I’ve just called them, agreed to just get an Uber and claim back soon after

Last edited:
OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Can you join ETA rescue as above? I’ve had for a few years, pay £18 I think. Have used twice thanks to punctures a bit too far from home/poor timing. I’ve just called them, agreed to just get an Uber and claim back soon after

i will have to have a look
I wont be out this weekend anyway , mrs ck is working sunday to help out and i cant disappear for 4-5 hours with kids at home , technically i could but its not the done thing to leave sprogs at home unattended with the eldest although capable with the ASD and mini ck 2 off school anyway with the lurgy

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Here in the UK I joined a Club locally last year and was utterly turned off by the whole 'rules and regulations' aspect; far too regimented for me! Briefings! Health & Safety!
That's a sample size of one. Even within the "organised" rides, there's full BC, whatever their socials are called now, Clarion, CUK Member Groups, Affiliated, Community and probably more besides. Then there's freewheeling groups. Lots of choice.

DogmaStu

That's a sample size of one. Even within the "organised" rides, there's full BC, whatever their socials are called now, Clarion, CUK Member Groups, Affiliated, Community and probably more besides. Then there's freewheeling groups. Lots of choice.

Sample size of two actually. I also read the Rules for other Clubs in the general vicinity. All largely the same. I get it, once you make friends with members of the Club you can arrange your own rides outside of the organised ones. I'm not seriously looking though - I have my Club and Team abroad that I'm perfectly happy with.

Here I'm happy to cycle on my own and steal everyone's KOM's. :biggrin:

Alex321

Veteran
I enjoy riding on my own, it's great to spend time outdoors in your own thoughts, own pace etc. My longest rides have been alone.

In Portugal, I am a member of a Club and a Race Team. Our Club rides are great, a group of friends who train together. I also ride with my Coach when there, mostly just the two of us. Then there are other, larger Groups I join and it's really nice.

Here in the UK I joined a Club locally last year and was utterly turned off by the whole 'rules and regulations' aspect; far too regimented for me! Briefings! Health & Safety! I mean, obviously use signals and watch out for each other but the riding side-by-side, not over-lapping wheels, specific signals. Army-like formation precision...spare me! :laugh: So I only went to one ride and never again.

I've since moved and joined another local Club...unlikely to ever meet them, only joined to pinch their routes while I learn the best local roads.

Can't wait to get back to living in Portugal permanently again in the next year or two - much more informal and fun.

I doubt Portugal is any more "informal and fun" than most clubs in the UK in that respect.

You just happened on a club which wasn't.

The one I'm a member of is nothing like the one you describe. No briefings, no regimentation or specific rules. Obviously, as you say, basic group etiquette is expected.

Most rides are a case of somebody posting up on the group facebook page something like "Ride Saturday, start 9:30 at xxx, 25-30 miles probably around 13mph, but no drop, who wants to join me".

A route isn't even always chosen until everybody going has turned up, and hardly ever posted in advance unless there is some specific target for it.

DogmaStu

I doubt Portugal is any more "informal and fun" than most clubs in the UK in that respect.

You just happened on a club which wasn't.

The one I'm a member of is nothing like the one you describe. No briefings, no regimentation or specific rules. Obviously, as you say, basic group etiquette is expected.

Most rides are a case of somebody posting up on the group facebook page something like "Ride Saturday, start 9:30 at xxx, 25-30 miles probably around 13mph, but no drop, who wants to join me".

A route isn't even always chosen until everybody going has turned up, and hardly ever posted in advance unless there is some specific target for it.

Yours sounds like the kind of Club I prefer.

I joined a Club in North Leeds last year and it is as I described. So are the ones nearby when I checked. I joined another Club near York recently and see the same applies. I'm talking about British Cycling affiliated Clubs where they would like you to wear their kit etc, not a group of mates arranging a bike ride by Whatsapp.

My UK Club experience is therefore not a sample of one but several sadly. I get advance route maps, times etc - there are Group Leaders, Group Organisers, AGM's etc. Rides are split into ability levels from 12mph ave to 20mph. They are quite regimented in organisation and ride etiquette.

Yes, outside of the official Club rides, groups do get together for informal rides if they want to - I went on a few myself last year where it is more to my preference.

In Portugal, my Club and Group rides are entirely informal in comparison. One group I ride with is run by a former Pro who simply posts on the Whatsapp group that he is heading out at a time and place and all welcome - we get up to around 30-40 cyclists sometimes. One particular annual ride with zero organisation attracts literally hundreds. Do you get that many cyclists riding in a peloton in the UK outside of anything organised?

Another group with a current Pro often attending leaves every Sunday from a BP garage in Portimao and it's never advertised, it's just an established ride where there will always be a few to a lot turning up.

If you are ever in the Algarve, look up the Velochique Club; mostly UK expats, meet Wednesday and Saturday's for a ride out from Alvor BP. Often a few tourists on each ride.

Emanresu

Just back from a second trip to Portugal and would suggest that :

a) the weather is a lot better so encourages more outdoor activities and
b) the drivers are more considerate. As good as Spanish drivers.

Too many stressed Eric's on UK roads wanting to get somewhere ( a coffin) fast.

Top Bottom