Casual road / "gravel" shorts recommendations please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I think these are a bit expensive but would probably do the job.

https://www.corinnedennis.co.uk/traditional-style-touring-shorts-x

Thanks - they look decent so I'll add them to the list :smile:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Have you bought any yet...? :whistle:

I bought another pair of Humvees so now I have a pair at home and have left a pair at my sister's house in Devon. That's my autumns and springs sorted out but I was overheating in this year's baking conditions so I would still like to buy some lightweight, cooler baggies for next year.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Have you bought any yet...? :whistle:

I bought another pair of Humvees so now I have a pair at home and have left a pair at my sister's house in Devon. That's my autumns and springs sorted out but I was overheating in this year's baking conditions so I would still like to buy some lightweight, cooler baggies for next year.

Nope :rolleyes:

A purchase that really wants to involve trying stuff on, and there's scant availability of such things locally.. really I'm not convinced that I need "proper" cycling shorts as I've managed this long wearing swimming shorts, so am also on the lookout for some non-specific stuff in an appropriately breathable fabric too.

Tbh it's now getting to the point where I can put it off for another year..

Must be nice to be happy / familiar with one specific type that you can just keep re-purchasing as necessary!

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Finally commute-necessity forced my hand and I ended up with a pair of Mountain Warehouse Explore long (3/4 length) shorts - mainly because they were cheap (£25) and I could actually look at them / try them on before committing.

025042_gre_explore_long_short_men_ss21_1.jpg

After a few wears initial impressions are good - very lightweight and airy polyamide / Nylon with zipped pockets at the sides / arse and two velcro-secured pockets on the legs. Fit is pretty nice with a bit of a taper at the leg and a nice elasticated waist to allow me to pretend I've not gained a couple of inches in recent years.

Both the zipped fly and pockets are a welcome novelty / add security and easy access for important things after the poorly-appointed swimming shorts I've mercillessly subjected to thousands of miles over the past 5+ years (they have held up incredibly well; just are not ideally suited to the task in hand).

Tbh I couldn't ask for much more; especially at the price. Of course time will tell how well they hold up.. if they acquit themselves well there's also a zip-off trouser / shorts combo in the same line that might be a good hedge for when the weather becomes more variable later in the year :smile:

Last edited:

united4ever

Über Member
Bought some Humvees but the lining is too tight. Should have sized up.

Stupid question but here goes. Those clips that fasten the lining to the outer shorts, how do you fasten the rear part? I need to see what I am doing but cannot see the back. Tried fastening them before putting on but they always unfasten when I pull them up.

HumpTdumpty

HumpTdumpty
I love my stolen goat gravel shorts plenty of pockets, flexi adjustment re hip area - most expensive item of clothing I’ve ever purchased re bike gear I’m firmly a German supermarket kind of guy but can’t recommend this highly enough - can wear to the pub or cycling no padded inners though so be aware

Attachments

• B45B4E64-5F3D-4A03-92F6-8BD54AF73D47.jpeg
    B45B4E64-5F3D-4A03-92F6-8BD54AF73D47.jpeg
    119.2 KB · Views: 2

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Stupid question but here goes. Those clips that fasten the lining to the outer shorts, how do you fasten the rear part? I need to see what I am doing but cannot see the back. Tried fastening them before putting on but they always unfasten when I pull them up.
I gave up connecting them together! (Both with my Humvees and other baggy shorts with clip-on liners.)

Another question... I think that I know the answer to this (NO!) but does anyone know of any bib baggy cycling shorts?

Top Bottom