Casual road / "gravel" shorts recommendations please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I'm looking for some different shorts for the bike as my current stop-gap swimming shorts are far from ideal; despite the sterling service they've given over the years.

While I'm wary of most things being sold for "gravel" I can appreciate the appeal of something more casual and less tight, clingy and pocket-less than traditional road / bib shorts; but a bit less baggy and more aero than traditional MTB shorts. I guess I'm looking for something breatheable, reasonably fitted with a bit of room, some pockets for stuff I don't want to put in my bag (such as house keys) and a reasonable aesthetic.

What are the good people of CC wearing for their casual jaunts?

Ta :smile:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I usually wear Endura Humvees (see avatar on left). They are pretty good in the spring and autumn but a bit too warm in the summer. Also there isn't much give in the fabric.

There are plenty of cheap baggies on Amazon but I reckon they would be false economy, likely to disappoint.

I was looking at paying more for something better. Gore Passion baggies look interesting?

ColinJ

PS The Amazon page included a little video clip of a man with a prosthetic leg wearing a pair of the shorts. Very inclusive of them but since probably 99.9+% of potential customers would have 2 legs, it would have made more sense to use a 2-legged model! :whistle:

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I usually wear Endura Humvees (see avatar on left). They are pretty good in the spring and autumn but a bit too warm in the summer. Also there isn't much give in the fabric.

There are plenty of cheap baggies on Amazon but I reckon they would be false economy, likely to disappoint.

I was looking at paying more for something better. Gore Passion baggies look interesting?

Thanks - I concur with your way of thinking as when it's anything less than warm I tend to wear a pair of unlined Craghoppers walking trousers, and haven't found a huge gulf between these and my very light swimming shorts when it comes to accommodating ambient temperature.

The gores look nice (not too clingy but nicely fitted) and they seem to have a good rep as a brand so I'll give them a bit more scrutiny :smile:

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

If you buy a pair, let us know what you think of them. I might be shopping for shorts in a month or so.

Will do; have had a bit of a poke around and have hit the usual brick wall of what size to buy.. Other than the size issue the only other thing putting me off is a lack of belt loops as I like this to keep my keys attached to for extra peace of mind.

Will keep at it though as I could really do with some and if I don't get some soon the need for them will be over for another year!

ColinJ

I see that Prime offer a 'Try before you buy' option. I wonder what happens to the ones that don't get bought... Do they get passed around potentially lots of people until somebody finally accepts them? :whistle:

winjim

Smash the cistern

Hummvees for me as well and some other Endura 3/4s, forget which range, for colder weather. Do check sizing as one pair is a small and one a medium but they're exsctly the same.

Huge pockets in the Hummvees, you can fit sn OS map in the back ones if that's your preferred method of navigation.

Tried the Humvee for a while but was always tightened up in the groin area after an hour! Now using a pair of Rapha Touring shorts with bib shorts underneath, all good so far, has pockets as well

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I just wear any shorts I can get hold of here, usually cargo style. I do have some Endura Humvees which are excellent and are probably the sort of thing you are looking for but hardly use them.

download.jpeg

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
I see that Prime offer a 'Try before you buy' option. I wonder what happens to the ones that don't get bought... Do they get passed around potentially lots of people until somebody finally accepts them? :whistle:

Just like any return. A good service :okay:

ColinJ

Just like any return. A good service :okay:

The next question is, can the returns be made via an Amazon locker? If so, then that is really convenient. I go past a locker every weekday. [I looked it up - Answer: YES!]

I would order XL and XXL and return the one which was the poorer fit. (If the sizes are accurate then that should be the XXL.)

Top Bottom