Cat climbing tree preventing doodah

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
We've got some birds nesting up on the tree in our garden. Also have a cat that's quite nimble, can climb the tree easily and loves snacking.

I don't want to keep the cat inside at all times so began thinking of some sort of contraption that would make it impossible for it to climb the tree. Looked for products online but can't find any so thought about DIYing the thing. Maybe some sort of mesh (chicken wire?) around the tree, shaped like a lamp shade? But concerned that will be too flappy and fail.

Surely, I can't be the only one with this problem. Any experiences or niche products that someone heard of?

Put a bell around its neck. Both the birds and the cat have their freedom and no other contraption needed.

We've got some birds nesting up on the tree in our garden. Also have a cat that's quite nimble, can climb the tree easily and loves snacking.

I don't want to keep the cat inside at all times so began thinking of some sort of contraption that would make it impossible for it to climb the tree. Looked for products online but can't find any so thought about DIYing the thing. Maybe some sort of mesh (chicken wire?) around the tree, shaped like a lamp shade? But concerned that will be too flappy and fail.

Surely, I can't be the only one with this problem. Any experiences or niche products that someone heard of?

Your chicken wire baffle could be ziptied round the tree that would work.
I can't fit a collar on my cat, it makes him depressed.

I think what they do for squirrels is wrap the trunk with a piece of sheet metal, wide enough so the cat can't reach for more tree bark like this. maybe just try aluminum foil?
sheet.jpg

Slick

Guru
The bell collar didn't help in my case as my wee lady baby just sat for hours and waited for the prey to come to her. She is also a very skilfull climber, but I have to look away once she is at her desired height, as she is as clumsy as a drunk man and stumbles about like she is going to fall any second. Thankfully she never does.

I did have a little think about trying to stop her climbing, but only came up with a timber skirt like a tutu, but never did anything about it.

OP
OP
Peter Salt

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Put a bell around its neck. Both the birds and the cat have their freedom and no other contraption needed.
Chicks in the nest, unfortunately.

I think what they do for squirrels is wrap the trunk with a piece of sheet metal, wide enough so the cat can't reach for more tree bark like this. maybe just try aluminum foil?
View attachment 649247
Never seen anything like that. Would assume the sheet metal is so they can't grip the bark. The cat's claws would just go through aluminium foil.

Your chicken wire baffle could be ziptied round the tree that would work.
Good idea that.

Has anyone actually *watched* a cat hunt? A bell is absolutely useless - they move so carefully, a bell won't actually make a sound.

Cats can jump about six to eight feet into the air, so whatever gets put onto the tree has to be at that height at the minimum. I would suggest that @rockyroller 's idea of a thin sheet of metal wrapped around the trunk would work well. It has to be slick enough that a cat can't get its claws in, so that after the initial jump, it can't climb any higher.

Also look out for alternate routes.

I'm lucky, my current two don't "do" birds, although a couple of summers ago, Madam Lexi cleaned out an entire pheasant's nest. OK, pheasants are ground-nesting and a bit dim, so not much one can do about that.

Sometimes you just have to face up to the fact that a cat is a predator and it will do what cats have always done - and always will do.

DRM

Guru
View attachment 649247

That’s a very simple, yet very clever idea, having had next doors cat adopt us, I’ve noticed she sits & even hides in our garden and does her best to hunt things, but does have a bell fitted, that despite moving slowly & carefully does ring, generally it ends up with the greedy pigeon that comes to the bird feeder & the cat staring at each other in a Mexican standoff, the pigeon even feeds with one eye on her, whilst the cat looks on dejectedly as she knows she isn’t quick enough to catch the pigeon

Top Bottom