cat friendly weedkiller

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I actually use round up but not near grass (kills it) - just say edge of buildings. I also use it very sparingly. If you've got loads of weeds, get an additional human servant to do it or get a long handled 'weeder'.

Brains

Legendary Member
You need a goat.

lane

Veteran
Glyphosphate (Roundup) works on grass. Not as good with things like dandelions and nettles. It acts on an enzyme that is only present in plants. General precautions: don't let animals near the sprayed area until it has dried. Don't use near ponds. There have been lots of scare stories about Roundup recently. However, if you go and look at the cohort studies of many thousands of people, no adverse events connected to its use were found.

Good to know. I use it on my block paving and have been a bit concerned by the lawsuits in US some of which seem to have been won. That's out front rabbits take care of the back.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Roundup is very effective, and you just need a little on the weed. I always ensure I wash my hands after, but I've had a squirter for the past 3-4 years and used it on the MIL's house also. Use very sparingly. If you've got loads, just go round with one squirt on the plant close up.

I'm more worried using weed and feed on the grass than round up, so I water the granules in.

ianbarton

Veteran
That’s ok then. Never mind the rest of the ecosystem and the OP’s cats. So long as you’re alright Jack. :wacko:

Why do you think it’s slowly being banned right across the globe? The panel on GQT are no longer allowed to recommend it either. There are too many people out there using chemicals who have no training or knowledge to be let loose with this stuff. And to be frank there are too few invertebrates out there to even consider using glyphosate.

*Very contentious subject akin to the helmet debate. But you probably know that.
We use it on the farm as part of our arable business. We have to keep very detailed records of how it has been used. We have several cats and a dog. I seriously doubt that it would cause them any damage if they chewed some grass before it dried. However, that's what the instructions on its use say. If Roundup is banned expect a serious rise in your food prices. Except if it's banned in the UK we will probably still keep importing food from countries where it isn't banned.

lane

Veteran
i think it's pathclear I have used in the past for the block paving. Assume they all have the same active ingredient. Just wondering if there is a practical alternative that won't involve too much effort. I normally only apply once a year.

keithmac

Guru
I stopped using Roundup when we got our dog last year, it was a good product though.

Lawn wise we just mow it, looking at the 1000's of dandelion seeds floating about this morning there's far more important things to worry about!.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
We use it on the farm as part of our arable business. We have to keep very detailed records of how it has been used. We have several cats and a dog. I seriously doubt that it would cause them any damage if they chewed some grass before it dried. However, that's what the instructions on its use say. If Roundup is banned expect a serious rise in your food prices. Except if it's banned in the UK we will probably still keep importing food from countries where it isn't banned.

Sure. You are responsible and trained in the use of herbicides which is a good thing. And the ban on sales to Joe Public is a step in the right direction. The data for the long term damage to invertebrates is stacking up. The honey bee being the poster boy for this research however any foraging insect will be suffering a demise. Compare your windscreen when you were off on a family driving holiday in the 70s/80s to now. Shocking.

Anyway we all have a long way to go and much to learn and if I really wear my heart on my sleeve: Cats and dogs are secondary to my concerns for our ecology.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
i think it's pathclear I have used in the past for the block paving. Assume they all have the same active ingredient. Just wondering if there is a practical alternative that won't involve too much effort. I normally only apply once a year.

Boiling water in the joints is incredibly effective. Just use the dregs from the kettle after you’ve made yourself a cuppa.

lane

Veteran
Thanks I will try that. Very little growing after the treatment I gave it nearly a year ago but a few shoots coming up and will soon be looking quite untidy. Pitty I can't put the rabits out the front they would enjoy making short work of it but not really safe for them.

When dad was alive, he was really big on roundup and pesticides. Guess who had to do the spraying though... :angry:

Haven't used any of either these last eleven years, and yes, I do have to keep on top of the weeds by hand, but I get a weird revenge on them, because a fair few are edible - nettles, cleavers, dandelions... :laugh:

Plus I've noticed a big increase in the number of insects, especially solitary bees, beetles and ladybirds. And generally, the good insects will take care of the ones that cause problems. I haven't had a greenfly infestation in years.

ianbarton

Veteran
Sure. You are responsible and trained in the use of herbicides which is a good thing. And the ban on sales to Joe Public is a step in the right direction. The data for the long term damage to invertebrates is stacking up. The honey bee being the poster boy for this research however any foraging insect will be suffering a demise. Compare your windscreen when you were off on a family driving holiday in the 70s/80s to now. Shocking.
In the centre of the area where we use most roundup a local beekeeper keeps his hives. The bees seem to be doing fine and producing lots of honey.

Edit: Just to be clear. He asked if he could put his hives there. We aren't surrounding his property.

Last edited:

PapaZita

Guru
I will try the boiling water idea for paving. Another trick for stubborn dandelions between paving stones is to pour a little table salt into the crack around the plants. They don't like that at all.

Top Bottom