Catching rats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Keith Oates

Janner
I've used them a couple of times when we had some problems with the little blighters and they worked fine. As they say the results are not always pretty to look at in the morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tetedelacourse

1. Invite Fnaar round
2. Ask him to build a compost heap in your back garden
3. While the compost composts, make a brew and cue up RATM's Bombtrack, but don't put on yet.
4. If he hasn't brought his "kit" with him, go and get an aerosol deodorant from the bedroom, preferably Mandate, and a lighter.
5. After 3 hours, the heap should be rat city. Fnaar will be getting more and more agitated and excited. Walk over to the stereo and start Bombtrack.
6. Follow Fnaar out to the heap, and just as the immortal words "Burn BURN yes you're gonna BURN" come blasting through, ignite flamethrower and watch those F**k*rs burn.
7. Once all vermin has been torched, hi-5 Fnaar, tell him to GET OUT, and go and put your feet up with a nice cup of tea and a slice of Genoa Cake.

1. Buy humane catcher from garden centre.
2. Go to neighbour and announce that you will have huge numbers of rates to release.
3. Ask where your neighbour would like them released in his garden.
4. Observe reaction.

Ranger

Can I just ask, please don't use those sticky boards. Once you get a rat (or passing cat, hedgehog, bird etc) stuck to it, what are you going to do then? The board doesn't kill them, and the trapped animal makes a hell of a row until the animal is finished off.

If you want to deal with rats yourself, buy a poison baiting station (B&Q do them) and and a box of poison far more humane and a cheaper, long term treatment, just keep topping it up and rat problem controlled, not eradicated as you will never manage it

I know that you've disposed of your air rifle but the consensus among shooting folk is that shooting rats in an urban area is not a good idea as it tends to be reported to the police as "there's a gunman round the back of the houses."

andygates

alecstilleyedye said:
buy a cat.

+1. Mine's a mouse-a-day hunter until she runs out of meeces. Cats are ace. And you get the entertainment of watching the hunt!

And look at the root cause. Something somewhere is filthy or overgrown or cluttered - tidy it up if you can, find out whose it is and give them your dead rats if you can't.

Guns + urban = dumb.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Tetedelacourse said:
1. Invite Fnaar round etc etc
Generally I don't like the idea of poisoning animals, but with rats I justified it to myself... all gone now. Most unpleasant bit was digging the dead'uns out of the compost... :tongue:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Ranger said:
Can I just ask, please don't use those sticky boards. Once you get a rat (or passing cat, hedgehog, bird etc) stuck to it, what are you going to do then? The board doesn't kill them, and the trapped animal makes a hell of a row until the animal is finished off.

If you want to deal with rats yourself, buy a poison baiting station (B&Q do them) and and a box of poison far more humane and a cheaper, long term treatment, just keep topping it up and rat problem controlled, not eradicated as you will never manage it

Yes, those sticky traps look horrible to me. I'd rather they were finished off quickly in some sort of spring trap, assuming you can get them for rats...

Arch said:
Yes, those sticky traps look horrible to me. I'd rather they were finished off quickly in some sort of spring trap, assuming you can get them for rats...

I thought the same. Even if you are inspecting them regularly, the animal is going to be terribly stressed for quite a long time. Do they try to knaw their feet off to escape?

Tetedelacourse

OK if Fnaar isn't going to help you, how about some sort of device that forces them into a maze? Then, if they're clever enough, they may escape and be wiser for it, and the dirty stupid ones will perish. You could even keep the clever ones and train them to pickpocket for you, or attack enemies.

Top Bottom