Cateye EL520

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Iceniner

Ive been looking around for a potential fairly cheap light that i could put on my helmet when i say cheap i mean ~£30, but also if i wanted to i could mount it on my handlebar.

I was looking at the cateye EL520 as its been knocked down in price -
http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=7954&categoryID=104

Has anyone else tried to mount this light on a helmet? I wondering if the system they have for mounting would be easy enough to get through the vents of my helmet. :biggrin:

failing that they have some smaller helemet mountable ones the EL410's or something like that but they arent particularly bright from what ive seen.

Ive got the fore runner to that light, its a bit big and heavy for a helmet light. My light has a different bracket however which wouldn't allow it to be helmet mounted anyway.
I also have a 410, it mounted quite easily but whilst I find it bright and crisp its beam is quite narrow.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I wouldn't be putting something that big on my helmet. If you wanted something bright, small, and light, how about a Fenix P3D? I have one, but have never tried to mount it on my helmet.

OP
OP
Iceniner

Iceniner

Ive already got a fairly wide light for my front light so i was looking for something as a smaller spot light, say for looking off to the side, or looking down in certain places on the road or my pedals etc. Do you think that the EL410 is worth the money? How far can you see with it in the dark?

I use it (the 410) as a back up light helmet mounted and its also an emergency light on the road bike in summer and find it good for this and I find it value for money. Its crisp and clear for a good distance and I find it quite good for highlighting things, computer, pedals, my presence, etc.

cannondale boy

Über Member
I use a petzl tikka plus head torch, great for strapping around the helmet. It's small, quite bright too (carries 3Xaaa batteries which are light). I always have 2 front lights to be safe and to be seen, especially when HGV drivers can't see your light on your bike they can see the one above you strapped to your helmet.

Plax

Guru
I have the EL-450 mounted to my helmet. It's the newer version of the EL-410;
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360031617&n=Cateye EL450 Front Light

I really like it, probably worth getting the 450 over the 410 as the 410 is advertised as having 180+ candle power, and the 450 has 400+ candle power and there's only a few quid difference in price on wiggle.
It's small and light, and lights up the immediate surroundings well. They have the proper bracket for mounting to the helmet as well, I think the 520 would be too heavy.

OP
OP
Iceniner

Iceniner

Thanks for your advice everyone - Mike i like the look of those torches they certainly look like they put out a lot of light i just cant spend the time looking for decent ways to mount them at the moment :-( But an interesting idea for the future.

I think ill end up getting myself a EL450 :-)

Thank you for all your advice!

Top Bottom